Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bb curve 8530 bb 32g playbook
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: The most common question asked again: Skype on Playbook !

I have my playbook for about two months now waited for the price drop and os update I knew that Skype was not available I just thought it was inevitable that we would get it eventually I found faceflow.com on the crackberry forums it allows you to video chat right from your browser I have used it on Google crome and firefox works pretty good with a good broadband connection hope it helps. Good luck

I.E.
My Device: Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

It is very unfortunate that Skype is not working on the tablet. Hopefully when the new update comes it will be available. The good news is that the blackberry PlayBook is a lot cheaper than the ipod. I paid $128.00 for mine just yesterday. I can use Skype on my desktop computer like last did before. 

My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10 / Passport
My Carrier: O2 UK

The silence from Skype as to if or when their application is coming to BlackBerry is deafening.  Their refusal to officially answer such a simple question is beyond belief. Microsoft bought Skype to market it to their own advantage and this includes denying it to thousands of BlackBerry users around the world. A business decision which I'm sure many here will agree is a bad one. They are losing millions of dollars by choosing to ignore BlackBerry.  

I recommend you pay close attention to FaceFlow.  Although currently available for video chat through your web browser they have confirmed that an application for BlackBerry 10 WILL be available early 2013. It will be cross platform and will be a credible alternative to Skype.  This is the company that will be getting my custom.  Yes I would like to see Skype generally available for BlackBerry but I have no more time to waste with Skype and their arrogance. 

http://www.faceflow.com/ 

BlackBerry is for Life, not just for Christmas
Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: 3 it

i suggest to follow the blackberry developer blog for official information on skype launch

http://devblog.blackberry.com/

Please click the Thumbs Up icon if this comment has helped you!
If your issue is resolved, please click the solution button on the resolution!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Playbook
My Carrier: MTS

You can sideload rebuild android's version of skype. I have one working on my bb playbook. And I have os 2.0

Please click the Thumbs Up icon if this comment has helped you! If your issue is resolved, please click the solution button on the resolution!

My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10 / Passport
My Carrier: O2 UK

I tried that just before the latest PlayBook update. Easy enough but it only gave me a chat facility, not calls or video. Wondered if you had it fully operational? 

BlackBerry is for Life, not just for Christmas
Trusted Contributor

I am going to check that once I get home

Please click the Thumbs Up icon if this comment has helped you! If your issue is resolved, please click the solution button on the resolution!

Trusted Contributor

Now skype is just not logging in. Stucks at "signing in" screen. Very strange. It was working some time ago, but not now. I did not update playbook since then. Perhaps Microsoft had changed something on the serverside

Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

I hope that videochat providers are not going to put walls between OS...

remember that:
- Skype is a Microsoft Product,
- FaceTime is an Apple Product,
- Google Talk is a Google Product
- PlayBook videochat is a RIM product

a possibility is that skype stops becoming available except for Microsoft products in a near future...

MY advise to the original poster is to... buy a PlayBook for his/her parents, and use the PlayBook VideoChat.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: