Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 8830 WE
My Carrier: IDEA

This is the second time ... I m writing my problem please help me administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi people.. 

Good to see lots of tips and help from this website

I m a new with bb .. Just 3 days back I brought blackberry 8830 WE phone from sum shop and he told me the phone was unlock.. Anyways from this website only I came to know that my phone is locked.. But all GSM Sims are working on my phone bz its a blackberry 8830 WE phone.. So the thing is my phone is working fi9 but I wanted to use blackberry internet service (bis) on it and it is still working on my phone but it get disconnect at any time ... And start working by it self .. I mean out of 24 hrs its working for only 5 6 hrs a day ... So can sum one please tell me weather I should unlock my phone or not will my bis service will work fi9 or not after unlocking it ?

And for the information .. I m from India and the phone is locked with telecom nz ... and yeah I update my phone with bb desktop software ... When I bought this phone it was on 4.2 os and now I have updates to 4.5 it is still locked . I m really confused weather it is a software problem or a hardware problem because I have reloaded my whole os for like 2 times ... But nothing has changed and yeah till me now I have changed the sim ... First I switch to vodafone then reliance and now I m idea but still bis service is not working properly .

Please tell me wheaten it is a hardware problem or software so that I can take my phone to service center ... 

Solutions: 6,421
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: This is the second time ... I m writing my problem please help me administrator

a) You bought it from "sum" shop? Does that "sum" shop offer any warranty on the device?

b) To determine if your BlackBerry is already "unlocked" or not:

1. On your BlackBerry, go to Options > Advanced Options > Sim Card.
2. At that screen type MEPD (see note below) on your keyboard. A new menu will pop up.
    * If your BlackBerry has a SureType keyboard (71xx, 81xx, 91xx devices) you will need to double-tap the P, so the actual keys entered become M E P P D.
3. Look for Network in the list.
4. If your device is "unlocked", it should say Disabled or Inactive. If it says Active, it's still locked to that carrier.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Re: This is the second time ... I m writing my problem please help me administrator

Thanx for the reply

normally they do.. But in my case this phone is already discard so they did not offer me any guarantee..  But its a brand new set ... And I have already checked it and it is locked with the telecom service ... The thing which I wanted to ask is what is the problem with my phone ??

Do u guys have any idea ?? Smiley Happy

Contributor
My Device: 8120
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless Inc

Quote: But all GSM Sims are working on my phone bz its a blackberry 8830 WE phone.. So the thing is my phone is working fi9 but I wanted to use blackberry internet service (bis) on it and it is still working on my phone but it get disconnect at any time ... And start working by it self .. I mean out of 24 hrs its working for only 5 6 hrs a day ... So can sum one please tell me weather I should unlock my phone or not will my bis service will work fi9 or not after unlocking it ?

So, from this it means your phone is fine and works. What you are now trying to do is use BIS as in Email/BBM/FB/AppWorld/EtcEtcEtc

The following is something you need to know about how BIS functions:

You need to subscribe to a BlackBerry data plan with your wireless provider. Assuming you have already done this or else you shouldn't be posting problems yet - then you're saying your data periodically shuts off on you?

If you data periodically shuts off on you then your phone is simply disconnecting itself from the carriers BIS infrastructure link. Reboot your phone by battery pull, or in some cases cycling airplane mode for ~3-5 minutes and performing a "Register Now" will improve the behavior. This "CAN" occur during high-peak times of the day..

Please realize that the BlackBerry 8830 is a CDMA phone with GSM roaming capabilities. You may want to adjust your Mobile Network Settings so that any network settings/preferred network types are set to GSM Only. If you are using a CDMA phone with GSM roaming capability on a GSM network as its primary source then the above tip is not a suggestion but a requirement.

When you have PIN that was once registered on another Carriers BIS infrastructure - you sometimes have to "Register Now" you device to register it on the new network - at which point a BIS account can be created. Inside your BIS account goes your Integrated and Hosted email accounts. If you have any errors when attempting to register your BlackBerry BIS account - have your wireless provider create a BIS account for you with one of their demo device PINs/IMEIs - at which point you can login to the said account and "Switch" devices. Effectively registering your handset onto their BIS infrastructure.

When your device is not getting internet service - reboot or airplane mode it, and blame it on how you use it! Smiley Happy

Hope the above explained how to use BIS and to setup it up and to improve its behavior when interacting with your phone.

Jaloz.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 8120
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless Inc

You say its locked. But you say "Any GSM SIM works".

So is it locked, or unlocked?

2G Network GSM 900 / 1800 / CDMA2000 1x EV-DO

Ensure your provider uses the GSM frequencies as above. Some of their cellsites may not be data provisioned.

Solutions: 6,421
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jaloz wrote:

You may want to adjust your Mobile Network Settings so that any network settings/preferred network types are set to GSM Only. If you are using a CDMA phone with GSM roaming capability on a GSM network as its primary source then the above tip is not a suggestion but a requirement..

I am betting that's exactly what you need to do.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

thank you so much sir for repling ... 

yeah i have done that also ... first when my BIS service stop working i called the idea customer care service and they told me to go into the option/advance option/host routing table/register. i did the the same thing and after register .iput out my battery and restart the phone and then BIS service start working for sum time and again it got DC.

i dont know about the cycling airplane mode, can you please tell me how to do this ?

yes u are right sir ... right now i will tell you abought my setting .. in manger connection /mobile network  option/ mobile network is set to idea /netwotk selection mode is set to automatic /and network mode is set to GSM ... so if any of my option is wrong, you can tell me .

I think my phone is locked with telecom nz network .. because when i type MEPD at the sim card option .. its shows me device - active,  but even after this i m able to use idea sim ...

i dont know how to create BIS account ... are u talking about this account

http://ideacellular.blackberry.com/

if u r talking about this account then i m allready registered.

even i m confused weater i m locked or unlocked bz when i type MEPD in sim card option it shows me that i m active ,but still i m able to use every thing on it ... i think i m able to use all the services bz its a blackberry world edition phone .. i m not sure thats what i think so .

New Contributor

Ensure your provider uses the GSM frequencies as above. Some of their cellsites may not be data provisioned.

2G Network GSM 900 / 1800 / CDMA2000 1x EV-DO

sorry i dont understand what you are tyring to say ???

New Contributor

please reply what happened ???

New Contributor

i know you people are busy but atleast tell me .. weather it is a hardware problem or a software problem ?