Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: orange

Three questions from a newbie

Hi everyone

a) if i turn off wifi and data services on my curve i can still send emails - how is this possible?

is it costing me money?!?

also (and this is strange)

b) when i turn wifi on my router has a fit! it drops signal and my other devices - two laptops loose all connectivity along with my curve!

c) it looks like FB and twitter are permanently running in the background - is this the case? - is this using my data? - how do i turn them off?

Any help greatly appreciated

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Three questions from a newbie

Turning off Data Services on older BlackBerry phones actually cancelled any data from being transferred to and from your phone. Since OS 7, that's no longer the case. Your Mobile Network is still on and that's how emails are being sent and received, even with Data Services off.  To fully answer your question, yes this is data and if you have a limited data allowance and you go over it, it will cost you money.

As for your router having a fit when you turn off your Curve's Wi-Fi, it's because wireless routers really like BlackBerry devices and if you remove one, the router will let you know by dropping ALL devices until the BlackBerry is connected again.  (Alright, alright....I don't actually have an answer for this one.  Sorry.)

Facebook and Twitter don't permanently run in the background but once you've set them up, your phone will push updates to you whenever someone does something that would require being pushed to your phone.  Yes, this will use data but the amount is negligible so don't give it another thought.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: orange

Re: Three questions from a newbie

Thanks for that

Just to clarify for the router problem

When i turn the wireless on -(on my  phone) my router turns itself off.

I've found the same issue with Samsung Galaxy phones and a solution here - i've yet to try it

if anyone has tried this or has another solution i would love to hear it.