Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thunderbird/Lightning Support?

Does anyone from RIM read these posts? I would like to request that they include the ability to sync my BB with Thunderbird with the Lightning calendar plugin. I hate being forced to use MS Outlook. I know there are 3rd party ways and other more complicated and totally crazy ways of getting this done. However, that's not what i want. I would like to request that RIM makes Thunderbird an option and not just force me to use MS Outlook. Thanks.
Visitor

Re: Thunderbird/Lightning Support?

Totally support you!!!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

[ Edited ]
you can have near-realtime wireless synchronization between Mozilla Lightning and your Blackberry calendar if you use Google Calendar as a middleware.

you need (all that is free as in "free beer") :
  • the "Mozilla Lightning" addon for Mozilla Thunderbird
  • the "Provider for Google Calendar" addon for Mozilla Thunderbird
  • a Google Calendar account
  • the "Google Mobile Sync" application for Blackberry
Message Edited by Xandrex on 12-16-2008 07:48 PM

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

I know there are 3rd party ways and other more complicated and totally crazy ways of getting this done. However, that's not what i want. I would like to request that RIM makes Thunderbird an option and not just force me to use MS Outlook. Thanks.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Yes, native Thunderbird support is most appreciated
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

kismeras wrote:
I know there are 3rd party ways and other more complicated and totally crazy ways of getting this done. However, that's not what i want. I would like to request that RIM makes Thunderbird an option and not just force me to use MS Outlook. Thanks.

for that to happen, you would need a lot of work on Mozilla Lightning side. Much more than on RIM's side.
Take an example : Google Calendar. It was open and someone had to create on Mozilla Lightning's side an addon so that Thunderbird could connect to Google Calendar. You need at least the same to connect to a Blackberry Calendar, and that's not on RIM's side.

Besides, RIM technologies are not open-source nor standardized so believe you'll never get what you want.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Actually, i believe it's up to RIM to add Thunderbird support. Also, that's why i'm thinking of getting another phone.

Nothing against my BB, i just prefer T-Bird and RIM is forcing me to use Outlook. MS did not make Outlook work with RIM. RIM made Outlook wirk with BB since Outlook is the defacto business email client. RIM needs to understand that business users are adopting other email clients besides Outlook. Also, there are more and more non-business users buying Blackberries everyday.

Message Edited by kismeras on 12-17-2008 08:24 AM
Highlighted

I too have been waiting in vain for BB to be able to sync with Thunderbird. I hate Outlook and switched to it from Eudora ONLY because of the calendar/contacts sync features when I got the Pearl -which Eudora does not have. I use Tbird at home and would settle for being able to sync the calendar and contacts from work <-> BlackBerry <-> home so I could keep track of every one (and every thing) in one place.

I even suggested this to a friend of mine who works at RIM (I live not too far from their HQ) -they should take the open-source Thunderbird and release their own version with device support -called "BlackBird"? He said it was a great idea and would pass it on, but I don't think Mike L or Jim B got the message yet.

In the meantime I will try the Google Calendar pass-through and see where that gets me. Better than nothing I suppose.