Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Time Zone Change Impact on Calendar Events

[ Edited ]

My very old Sony Z5 (from the pre smart phone era) had a very cool feature. Two clocks with each an adjustable time zone. So let's say that I'm travelling from Amsterdam (GMT +1) to Lisbon (GMT +0) which I actually do regularly  I leave one clock on Amsterdam time and set the other clock to Lisbon time. As soon as I get out of the plane I just swap clocks. When I travel to my brother in the US I set one clock to NY time. The Sony always showed both clocks. That way you don't accidentally wake up your spouse in Holland. You can show a second clock on the Blackberry by

• On the Home screen or in the Applications folder, click the Clock icon.
  • Press the BB key >   Options.
  • Change the Home Time Zone field.
  • Press the   BB key >   Save.

Just a pity that you can't swap both clocks. Could you please add that feature RIM? The Japanese got it right the first time. So forget about switching time zones, this works very well and you don't have to do the math.

What would be even better is if the source of the time zone would not be limited to the network provider time (which is

not relayed here in Portugal) but also would use the GPS data to switch clocks!

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Agree 100% with the others experiencing this problem. This has happened to me on multiple occasions. I came across this post expecting a solution, as I arrived at a 5pm appointment today that originally was for 4pm when I booked it away on business, missed it and have to reschedule. I just want the appointments to stay at the time I set them and the time zone update independently. Looking for this feature in the next phone.
Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

iwanturCAT wrote:
Agree 100% with the others experiencing this problem. This has happened to me on multiple occasions. I came across this post expecting a solution, as I arrived at a 5pm appointment today that originally was for 4pm when I booked it away on business, missed it and have to reschedule. I just want the appointments to stay at the time I set them and the time zone update independently. Looking for this feature in the next phone.

The solution is use the time zone setting in the calendar and enter the appointment at the time it occurs in that time zone. All calendar appointment times will be correct regardless of time zone setting on the device.  

- Ira
Contributor

So you're saying under Display and Controls turn the Update Time: to Automatic it will still provide the correct time, and under Time Zone I turn the Auto Update Time Zone to off it won't bump my appointments? Yes?
Elite I

[ Edited ]

No. I'm suggesting using the time zone setting in the calendar.

Say you have a flight departing the West coast USA at 7:00AM and your home time zone is different. You are entering your flight times as appointments. Set the start time of the appointment as 7:00AM, the duration equal to the flight time, and set the appointment time zone to Pacific time.

Do that and your calendar notifications will always occur at the appropriate time relative to the appointment, regardless of the time zone setting for the device clock. 

If you need to do so, record the local time for the appointment in the notes.

- Ira
Contributor

so you're saying in the appointment you set the time zone according to where it will occur - I see this option under Time where you can set the Duration and then Time Zone. This would make each appointment float independent of the actual time, preventing the bumping people are experiencing - which occurs b/c the appointment itself is set to wrong time zone when bumping occurs. Yes?
Elite I

Yes.

For what it's worth, some don't like doing this because they want to be able to look at the calendar and see the appointment time as the actual local time of the appointment regardless of the time zone where they are. The trick, in my opinion, is to understand the appointment time in universal time and according to the clock on the BlackBerry. Thus, if your appointment is in San Francisco and somehow your BlackBerry was set to Hong Kong time, your calendar alert will still activate at the correct time for the appointment, if you use the time zone setting in the calendar.

Also, a real world practical example, networks have been known to broadcast the wrong time zone. If you have your BlackBerry set to automatically change the time zone, your setting could change without you knowing it. My advice is set the device to prompt, for this reason, but if you do leave it to automatic and you use the time zone setting in calendar, your calendar notifications will occur on time. You alarm clock, however, will be off depending on the time zone error.
- Ira
New Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

As an airline pilot, I change multiple time zones multiple times a day! This auti-error-inclusion system is a Royal PITA!
I want my clock to update to the correct time, and I want my calendar to realize I will be in the correct time zone on the day of an appointment! I want to enter the time the doctor's secretary gives me as is, not have to do mental math to compensate for what is a major mistake in the OS! Please FIX THIS! Or give us the option to turn it off without loosing auto clock updating. If the two feature are so tied together in the OS that they can't be split, please tell whoever wrote that section that they are drooling morons! Yes, that is how angry that stupid "feature" (bug!) makes me!
Elite I

[ Edited ]

It isn't broken. And you don't have to do the math. The calendar gives you the feature to set the time zone in which the appointment occurs, and the device does the time zone correction for you (in BBOS).

Personally, I travel too. I may have multiple appointments plus my flights. I want these appointments to show in the actual local times according to the time zone I am in. The only way that is possible is if the appointments are entered while allowing for th time zone in which th appointment occurs. 

I also want my calendar alerts to activate at the correct time regardless. If I'm in time zone A and I have a teleconference scheduled in time zone B, I'm going to enter the appointment at the time it actually occurs in zone A, not the local time in zone B.

There was a time when the BBOS did not automatically update the time zone and one might forget to change the setting. . And even now you may have it set to prompt and could forget to respond to the prompt. Or it is possible you don't have it set to prompt and a network error incorrectly switches the time zone on you. If you use the calendar the way it is meant to be used, your alert will go off at the correct time before the appointment even if the time zone is set to another zone instead of the correct zone.

I will agree many have been arguing about this as long as I have been using a BlackBerry. It is still the same in BB10, though implemented differently (and not as well as in BBOS, in my opinion). Those who say it's broke will not get what they want, in my opinion, and the designers were not drooling morons. You can use the calendar the way it was intended or find a work around. Those are the options.

- Ira
New Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

Or they can make us all happy by giving us the option to turn it off.
When I am in Toronto... or Narita, and I get informed of an appointment at 1:30pm on the 20th at home in Calgary, I should be able to put it in as 1:30. And not have it change. And I shouldn't have to do anything extra for that to happen. So, yes, in my opinion, it is very broken. It is a Dilbertian bug being sold as a feature.