Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Time Zone Changes

When I fly to a different time zone my Blackberry Curve does not change to the new time zone.  What gives and

where do I go to have this set automatically.  My old Mortorola Razor always did when I traveled.  IF gone to the

Setting page regarding the time zone settings but there is no area that I know of to set for my phone to change automatically when I travel.

thanks for anyone's imput

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold

Re: Time Zone Changes

Go into Settings. Then Date/Time. Then Date/Time Source - Set it to Network. If you use Blackberry it wont update automatically.
CEO/Editor In Cheif
www.SmartphoneNation.com

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

This may be dependant on the OS version.  I've seen this NOT work on devices with older versions of the OS.

It would be nice to have someone from RIM give the definative answer... 

Jerry
Contributor

I am not from RIM (obviously) but I believe it was a feature implemented in OS 4.3, for the devices that have 4.3 available.
http://www.blackberryboards.com
http://wiki.blackberryboards.com - FAQ
Si
Contributor

Yeah I think it was a 4.2/4.3 thing.
Regular Contributor

I have the same problem with my Pearl using OS 4.3

I was used to having my old celphone automatically get it's time off the local cel network but even with my Pearl set to get the time from the network it doesn't seem to work properly. I contacted RIM about it but was told that the solution is to manually reset the actual time zone to be the one that you are in. Not only is this inconvenient and a bit non-intuitive but when you do this the BlackBerry automatically resets your calendar to account for the time zone change and all your appointments get shifted by the time zone difference between your home location and the one you have just arrived in. This is such an inconvenience for me that I don't bother adjusting the timezone when I'm on the road. My Pearl doesn't show the right time in this case but at least all my appointments are correct.

I really think that RIM needs to allow the user to change select if they want their BB to change their calendar or not when changing timezones.

Contributor

From what I've been told, RIM forces the user to change the date & time because it does change the time stamps on emails & the calendar.
Regular Contributor

I beleive that's true. I just think it's a bad idea and causes as many problems for the user as it allegedly solves.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regarding the display time, the upgrade to OS.4.3 does not resolve the issue. The display time (even though NETWORK is chosen for DATE/TIME source, will reflect the chosen time zone and not the network time.

This seems ridiculous for a device as sophisticated as this. To manually have to change time zones to get the display correct is absurd. Even the most basic cell phone will take the display time from the network.

The big question is: what time does the ALARM CLOCK use???   It uses the DISPLAY TIME!  So don't depend on it unless you have set the time zone.

Is there an application that provides an alternate alarm clock? 

Message Edited by sdormanmd on 05-26-2008 10:17 PM

I have a Pearl 8130 - I tried that, it is set to network, and it did not update automatically.  Any other suggestions?