Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: vodafone UK

Torch 9800 being hacked.

Hi there, I'm not sure who will be able to help but I have a few questions that need answering regarding handheld security.<br><br>Someone I know has been making very serious allegations regarding the bluetooth module being hacked on their device. The things they are saying the other person is doing remotely to the device via bluetooth are:<br><br>•Removing core system cods ie. Such as the tcp/ip option in settings.<br>•Creating a tunnel over the phones data connection that stays active indefinitely<br>•Cutting the devices data connection off (sometimes even for longer then 2 hours at a time)<br>•Remote viewing of the devices screen<br>•Executing commands remotely from another BlackBerry handheld to gather information<br><br>There are many other things the victim claims to be experiencing. An app error 104 screen was present at some stage.<br><br>I know the victim does however change settings within the advanced system settings, installs 3rd party apps that lock programs on the device and task managers that can create hidden processes.<br><br>Could you confirm if deleting the service books a minimum of once a day could trigger such unstable conditions on the device? I thought the service books were fundamental settings that the device needs to work at all. Is this correct? Could you also just re iterate the importance of service books as one of the core functions used by the device to operate in its normal manner?<br><br>The victims handset has been wiped and os 6 cleanly installed again, however the user now suspects that mime support, dod certificate support and ttyn support are now some sort of &quot;hacking&quot; modules, would you be able to confirm these as safe and built by yourselfs as to rule out the worry they are 3rd party hacking tools.<br><br>So really is all of the above possible? If it is what would be needed, or is it very unlikely this could happen (also the victim claims that the perportrator is carrying out the hacking from both a BlackBerry device and laptop).<br><br>Is there anyway that we can tell what exactly is going on with this device and prove either way what is actually happening?<br><br>Sorry for the long winded email but this problem is now causing a lot of stress for all parties involved.<br><br>I look forward to hearing your reply. Thank you in advance for your help regarding this matter.<br><br>Kind regards<br>Jason
Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Torch 9800 being hacked.

I'll make it very simply for your victim: The device is not being hacked.

IF it were being hacked, the victim MUST have allowed the "hacker" access to the device for a period of time to download and install one or more applications to the device which allowed the alleged access to the victim's device.

So, the easy way to determine this is to examine the Applications list (you failed to state what model or OS the victim is running, so the exact path to this list may vary, but basically on OS 5 and lower >> Options > Advanced > Applications). Check that list of apps. Anything seem out of order, then post back here with the app name. If nothing is out of order in that list, then they have nothing to be worried about.

And, it's my guess your "victim" will take none of this as the truth or reassurance in any way. So, you still have an uphill battle ahead of you.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code