Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Torch 9800 has blank (black) screen!!!

I see a number of users with the same problem, but HOW CAN IT BE CORRECTED? I visited AT&T and they had no idea. I have a ton of data I need to update on desktop manager, but usb cable isn't recognized either! What can I do here?

Please help me! I can't lose my data!!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Torch 9800 has blank (black) screen!!!

Do you have a backup?

Do you use protect?

Does desktop manager see the device at all?

Does it charge at all?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

No, I do not have a back up (previous desk top manager back up or back up phone?)

I do not know how to use protect, but thought it may help??? Should I try this too?

No, desktop manager does not see the device. I just bought a universal usb plug and the one for my 9800 fits, but the computer doesn't "see" it.

Phone has power and charged fully last night. Strangely, when I plug the usb cord into the phone, it starts to charge again (the light blinks green??)

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Kieras wrote:

No, I do not have a back up (previous desk top manager back up or back up phone?) DESKTOP manager would be prefered if you have one.

I do not know how to use protect, but thought it may help??? Should I try this too? Protect is available in app world which you can not access at this time.

No, desktop manager does not see the device. I just bought a universal usb plug and the one for my 9800 fits, but the computer doesn't "see" it. Most universal ones do work fine, but does the one on teh charger work?

Phone has power and charged fully last night. Strangely, when I plug the usb cord into the phone, it starts to charge again (the light blinks green??)

i assume you did a few battery pulls while device was one?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

I saw Blackberry protect on the website. Can I use that version instead of what's offered through app world?

Yes, I was able to fully charge my phone with both the charger that came with the phone from RIM as well as the car charger I purchased at AT&T at the time I got the phone....

Guru III
My Device:

Kieras wrote:

I saw Blackberry protect on the website. Can I use that version instead of what's offered through app world?

Yes, I was able to fully charge my phone with both the charger that came with the phone from RIM as well as the car charger I purchased at AT&T at the time I got the phone....

Protect should be the same on blackerry webite and app world.

but you said it has a black screen, how would you install it?

New Contributor

Yes, my screen is black and the device will not let me do anything. I was asking about protect in the event I would be able to install via the computer and not need to use the device.

Am I screwed with this phone? I mean, what is the likelihood I will be able to recover my data?

Guru III
My Device:

if the screen light is bad, then with desktop manager it might backup data

photos should be on the SD card if you have one, most emails contacts etc, could be on your email account.

items purchased in app world will be available for down load again.

Visitor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Telus

I have the same problem. My phone has been going in and out of black screen for a couple of months now. If I reboot mine enough and fiddle with the buttons the odd time (1 in 20) it might actually boot up with the screen on, then just make sure it doesn't hibernate and you can keep the screen on to get whatever you need to get done. Maybe you can install BB protect and transfer your phone particulars to their server. Best of luck. Sorry I couldn't really be of help.
New Contributor

No, thank you so much for ANY advice!

Even though my phone will not function (blank screen;  no calls, texts, emails, etc. come in), I was able to power up and with the correct data link cable, I transferred my data to the desktop manager....whew!