Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility
Accepted Solution

Torch 9800 missing TEXT MSG icon.

After reading thru the forums I haven't found a resolution to my missing text message icon on my BB Torch. It was there a few days ago but it has since disappeared. I read and tried a few things. It doesn't even show up in the menu (device/delete data) after I sync'd. I do receive messages but without notification. Also the character length is only 28 per message (incoming). Outgoing is OK. Contacts are all there... the SMS in the menu there is ticked.  Also I do not receive FaceBook notifications. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.    DG

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Torch 9800 missing TEXT MSG icon.

1. On your homescreen, press the Menu key > SHOW ALL, so that SHOW ALL is checked.

2. Look in EACH folder on your device... Applications, Instant Messengers, Downloads, etc.

3. Check your main Messages folder, are your SMS messages coming to that folder?

Press Menu > View Folders > SMS Inbox. Anything there?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi JSanders... thanks for replying...    SHOW ALL is checked off...  but in Main Messages there are no texts (I just tested with another cellular)... the only way to retrieve the text is to go to CONTACTS and check every contact to see if there is an SMS msg. They aren't in any of those other (APP, IM, DL) mentioned folders either. It seems I have lost the SMS app.

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

dishgawd wrote:

Hi JSanders... thanks for replying...    SHOW ALL is checked off...  but in Main Messages there are no texts (I just tested with another cellular)... the only way to retrieve the text is to go to CONTACTS and check every contact to see if there is an SMS msg. They aren't in any of those other (APP, IM, DL) mentioned folders either. It seems I have lost the SMS app.

Open your Messages folder > Options > Inbox Management. Is there a checkmark next to "Text Messages" or not? If yes, UNcheck it.

If all this doesn't work, reinstall your operating system on the Torch.

See the link below, for the download and simple installation instructions.

First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks JS....  reloading the OS from my carrier brought back the missing icon.  I guess there were no 'shortcuts' for a fix... but that worked great... plus the experience of performing those steps for the first time. Great forum. Hopefully I can help out sometime. 

My Device: Torch

I had this problem too sometime after installing Drive safe.ly and Bubble Bash 2, free gifts from Blackberry. I went into drive safe.ly and removed the setting to run on startup, shut down the phone and removed the battery and restarted. Afterwards my texting icon was back.

Hope this helps someone.

My Device: Torch 9850

My Torch 9850 also has a suddenly disappearing text message icon.  I can still access the SMS messages thru the SMS inbox/folder, but the icon just goes missing.   I have since discovered that it relates to the battery running down. 

If I let the battery run down, I recharge the phone and the icon is gone.  As silly as it sounds, I've discovered that if I let the battery run down again, then take it out, put it back in and recharge the phone - the icon reappears.  Not sure what is going on but my carrier, Verizon states they haven't heard of the problem and Blackberry seems indifferent to this issue.  

My Device: tourch 9800
My Carrier: 5708564076

You can also press the menu key hit options then scroll down to reset settings.  Check on layout . and reset. it will not erase anything just reset the icons on the main screen. The Text message icon will reappear.

My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: U.S. Cellular

Hey guys.. I registered here solely because of this thread and having this same problem. Mine seems a little worse though. At work i Seen my phone on my desk bootlooping out of the blue.  i had to pull the battery to get it to boot all the way to the OS.. once I made it back to the OS I had a Java Lang nullpointer error (something close to that anyway) I noticed I lost all my contacts, call log, old texts, emails and my email shortcuts as well as my SMS app. like the OP I have to go to recent activity from the contacts app. I can also go like I'm going to share an appworld link via text to at least get to my compose SMS section of the app. Also my options app will not start. according to the error msg the options_app fails to start as a result of net_rim_BB_ timezonedynupdater not found.. As of right now its pretty jacked up. I will start by uninstalling the newest apps that may be the cause. if that does not work I will most likely be left with flashing a clean install of OS7 as my only solution? would you guys concur?

New Contributor
My Carrier: ATT

JSanders wrote:

1. On your homescreen, press the Menu key > SHOW ALL, so that SHOW ALL is checked.

2. Look in EACH folder on your device... Applications, Instant Messengers, Downloads, etc.

3. Check your main Messages folder, are your SMS messages coming to that folder?

Press Menu > View Folders > SMS Inbox. Anything there?

This happened to me and Iwas going nuts till I got home.

It seems I somehow moved the icon to another folder.  I looked in each folder and once I found the icon, I clicked & held down the "mouse" then I chose "move to folder" from the pop up menu.  I then chose "home" and it showed up on the bottom of my "all" window.