Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange Fr

Torch 9800 not starting. Only red light.

Hi guys,

Before any one says it I have looked through the forum for anything relevant but to no avail as of yet so im starting this thread.

A friend of mine has passed me her Torch 9800 which she with her limited technological knowledge diagnosed as "dead". However the red light still comes on which to me is a sign of life.

Here's the symptoms.

I insert the batter and after 3 seconds the red light comes on, after 15 seconds the red light turns off and nothing else. (no screen activity during this time)

If i then insert the usb cable connected to the computer the red light comes on again for 15 seconds, turns off for about 15 seconds and then on again for 15 seconds and so on. (Device not detected by the computer even with BBSAK)

The device is unlocked and used on the french carrier orange.

Any ideas?

For any further information please dont hesistate to ask.

Thanks

New Contributor

Re: Torch 9800 not starting. Only red light.

Little update.

When plugged into the computer every time the red light comes on the computer makes the connected usb sound and every time the light goes off it makes the sound for device disconnected.
Highlighted
Contributor
My Carrier: Idea cellular

Hi,

Can you inform how did this situation arise. I mean during usage, suddenly the phone went off or it was dropped / or physically mishandeled somewhere?.

If it was working earlier, then you can download the desktop manager for blackberry. You also need to download the device software . Then you can search the fourm for how to reinstall the Blackberry OS ( device Software).

I have reinstalled and also updated the software of my BB torch 9800 ( in India) without any problem.

New Contributor

My friend informed me that they left their phone at home one day and then when she came back at the end of the day it was turned off with the red led. She tried charging but it never came back on. 

I have tried reinstalling the new OS, but it gets stuck at connecting to JVM. 

Contributor
My Carrier: Idea cellular

How did you try to reinstall the device software?

Super Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: MTN - SOUTH AFRICA

Hello

You can try force detection procedure below:

1. open bb desktop software

2. remove the battery from your bb phone 3. connect the bb phone to the computer without the battery

4. the bb desktop software will give you the error msg bb desktop software cannot communicate with the connected device

5. click on update. the bb desktop software will check for available bb device software. note: if the bb phone has a password a prompt will appear to enter it at this point.

6. enter an email address or uncheck the option for email when new versions are available.

7. click install update

8. a popup will display that states that when complete the device will need to be activated with the wireless network. without disconnecting the device from the computer, put the battery back into the device and click ok. note: if you miss the opportunity to put the battery in the bb phone at the appropriate stage and the upgrade fails click "retry". if it continues to fail please start the process over again. note: once the upgrade is complete your bb phone will probably take 20 to 30 minutes to restart. this is normal behavior.

9. A message will appear stating your software update is complete

10. click close.

New Contributor

This is the method i had previosuly tried and i have just tried again but at the stage where the phones connects to JVM i get this error.

Application Loader was unable to connect with your device. Please re-connect your device, enter the password, if required and click Retry.

any ideas?
Super Contributor

Alright have you tried using Apploader to load Os without the battery?

Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Using the manuals remember for eg, using 101 lecture from CB...it says when you see UKNOWN DEVICE click next. But if it shows PIN some don't follow throught with the rest of the recovery manual because they think it must show Unknown device, this not true. If nothing is shown then try KB article.