Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Torch 9800 proximity sensor not working well

Hi,

I have just bought a Torch 9800 but am annoyed by the failure of the proximity sensor to detect my face during a call. I cannot say that the sensor doesn't work because when I made a call to myself and use my finger to cover the sensor, it detected it and blank the screen. It also worked when I place my palm near it. However, it never works when I actually put it next to my ear. I think may be it's because I have black hair and blackberry designers never expected that. To solve this problem temporarily, I need to cover the sensor with my thumb during calls but it's uncomfortable to hold the phone that way. Will it be possible for RIM to recall this model to solve this problem? Or can that be solved by a free app?

Super Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 .246/.448/.526/.666/.706

Re: Torch 9800 proximity sensor not working well

kwhlau wrote:

Hi,

I have just bought a Torch 9800 but am annoyed by the failure of the proximity sensor to detect my face during a call. I cannot say that the sensor doesn't work because when I made a call to myself and use my finger to cover the sensor, it detected it and blank the screen. It also worked when I place my palm near it. However, it never works when I actually put it next to my ear. I think may be it's because I have black hair and blackberry designers never expected that. To solve this problem temporarily, I need to cover the sensor with my thumb during calls but it's uncomfortable to hold the phone that way. Will it be possible for RIM to recall this model to solve this problem? Or can that be solved by a free app?

If you use a screen protector, sometimes that interfears with the sensor.

Sometimes a reboot fixes this issue. Pull the battery when the phone is on and leave it out for 15-20 seconds. reinstall and turn in back on and see if its fixed.

Follow BBOSGhostryder on Twitter
Don't forget to click on the Like button if you like the answer to your post and/or click on "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.
Live your life in such away that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, satan shudders & says..."Oh **** he's awake".
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

You might be holding the microphone too far out from your face, thereby allowing too much light go shine on the sensor. Try holding your phone closer to your face.

I hope that helps you. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

I held it so close that my face touched the screen and pressed some of the buttons. That's why it's annoying. I often touched the mute botton during a call.

New Contributor

I have a battery pull and then gave myself a call again. Still doesn't work. My screen protector doesn't cover the sensor so it shouldn't be the cause. I test with covering with other black object and it doesn't detect it. So I think I am right that it can't detect black coloured object.

I am hoping that someone in this forum will connect me with the tech advisor or similar to assure me that they will look into that. Otherwise, I think the media will be happy with an article titled "No black hair for Blackberry".