Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Torch 9800 vs.. Curve 8310

I have a U.S Plan with ATT. I travel internationally and in the past have taken my SIM card out of my 9800 and put it in my 8310 because based on the difference in domestic data usage between the 9800 and 8310 I'm afraid to use the 9800 internationally for fear of ending up with a humongous international data plan bill.

Is anyone familiar with this and if yes, in general, do you know why the 9800 would use so much more data than the 8310 -- doing exactly the same things. 

Also, if I put the 9800 on 2G instead of 3G&2G setting would it make a difference internationally re data usage.  I.e.., work like the 8310?

Thanks

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Torch 9800 vs.. Curve 8310

Well, because the 9800 has a 3G signal, it can use more data, quicker.

So, yea, set to 2G only, you should use less data.

Additionally, on your 9800, you can set the Data Services to OFF, except when you are connected to a wifi hotspot, while traveling, and when you find yourself at a hotspot, also temporarily turn off the Mobile network (connection to your carrier) to ensure Wifi is the only data connection. Get your data transmissions done, email received and sent.

Then when you're through, revert Data Services to OFF, and Mobile Network on.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Torch 9800 vs.. Curve 8310

Thanks for the response however it doesn't help me in trying to resolve the issue of why there is so much more data usage with the torch 9800 EVEN on 2G.  I've kept the 9800 on 2G in the U.S. and it still uses substantially more data on a daily basis than the curve 8310.

If anyone knows why this happens I would appreciate the help.

I understand turning data etc off while overseas, however, on the Curve 8310 there isn"t that option so I get my emails constantly etc (something I like) and the data usage is minimal unlike the 9800 (only with U.S. usage.)

I think a person with a U.S. plan who travels overseas understands  my dilemna.  Anyone out there that can help?  Thanks