Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Torch 9800 wifi problems

Your carrier provides all support for your device. That's how the system works. If they can't work out an issue you can have them esacalate the case to RIM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
My Device: Not Specified

I've been having the same problems with my new Netgear N150 router. The 2 laptops, iPhone, Android Phone (Froyo) and Palm Pre all work fine. The Nokia N8 and SE x10 mini pro work, but flakily, and the BB 9800 doesn't work at all. I have tried setting the router to b and g only, changing from auto to the recommended channels and reducing the security. I can connect the 9800 to the router and the icon is not greyed out. However when I browse it doesn't find any web sites, and when I troubleshoot the connection i can see it doesn't connect to the BB infrastructure. So there seems to be some DNS issue. I do have a BB data plan. I've spoken to my carrier (Vodafone) and they're providing a replacement BB but I'm not hopeful this is the answer as this one is on the latest firmware (337) and is only 3 weeks old. Any further ideas welcome
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Maxis Malaysia

Im really hated my new BB9800... can't display the site / social networks (using wifi)  even the wifi is connected. My area is not have good signal of 3G, it was veryyy dissapointed to using it. I bought this phone to surfing internet and checking my mail via home wifi. Then... my taught is really false. Seems very hard to say. Thinking to throw it :smiley mad: 

My current Spec :

Services Provider : MAXIS BB Malaysia

Monthly Payment : USD35 with BB service

Others : HATED IT

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10

This is now a joke !, I have made this mistake of upgrading to a Torch 9800 and now find it will only have a stable wifi connection when its virually next to the router. I previously had a Bold 9000 and never had an isuse with wifi connectivity, nor do i have any isuses with 2 netbooks, 2 laptops and a server, oh an an itouch and WII. In fact I placed the Torch where the Bold used to sit on my desk and no signal, well it says no networks available. I have a utilty on my netbook to scan for other networks and one similar on the iTouch and they when in the same location as the Torch show there are multiple networks available. I contacted Orange and they suggested that it was the router, very technical assumption I thought. So to rule this out, I changed the channels, nothing, I changed the speed options as this is a Netgear DGN2200 going thru 54mp 145mb and 300mbs. Surprise surprise nothing from the Torch but every other device worked on them all. I find RIM'S repsonse very lacking on this issue, especially bearing in mind whats the point of encouraging us to get the phone as you can surf anywhere using wifi or mobile signal. This coupled with the fact that mobile operators have virtually done away with the unlimited data packages and lastly rip off operators when you use your mobile abroad. So Wifi is an essential component on any mobile and one that works. If RIM could at least admit to an issue and that it is being investigated then this is something.
My Device: Blackberry torch and curve 8530
My Carrier: bell

have you tried to set your MAC address for the torch to DMZ in the router this could possibly stop the disconnections.

if there is a port mentioned when the packets are dropped open that port in your router to the DMZ MAC address that should stop the dropped packets too.

hope this helps

jeff

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

To determine whether other connections from the same network location can be established, complete the following steps:

1. From a Windows® computer connected to the same network location as the Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone, click Start.
  2. Click Run.
  3. Type cmd.
  4. Press Enter.
  5. Type telnet rcp.<carrier_region>.blackberry.com 443.

Note: where <carrier_region> is the region in which the wireless service provider is located (na for North America, eu for Europe, or ap for Asia/Pacific)

6. Press Enter.

The command should result in a blank screen with a flashing cursor. Any indication of connection failure means that the network connection is blocked.

Note: This test confirms network connectivity at a basic level. If the network prevents outgoing Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) or Transport Layer Security (TLS) traffic on port 443, contact the system administrator to allow this type of traffic. The BlackBerry smartphone requires a TLS connection to the BlackBerry Infrastructure.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

After perfoming numerous other tests including the WIFI diagnostics on both the Torhc and the Bold it appears that the the Torch will only connect to the router if extermely close by to it and with no obstructions.

On looking at the reports the Bold reports a stronger signal from the router than the Torch does, in fact the Torch reports the signal as weak even 1 foot away from the router. And again doing the site survey the Bold detects my own networks and some others nearby whilst the Torch detects nothing other than my network when it is within a few feet of the router. 

I have performed a full reset but no difference, I ventured to the mobile retailer who again performed a reset and who eventually managed to get a wifi signal in the store, however this was within a few feet of the numberous routers they had instore.

Contributor

Further to my testing what U have noticed that from the areas very close to the router where the Torch says there is WIFI on looking at this in the WiFi diagnostics it reports the signal as 95db whereas the Bold in the same location reports this as 42db.

New Contributor
My Device: 9800 torch
My Carrier: O2 UK

Does anyone know if there is a firm solution for this issue with the 9800 connecting to wireless networks?

I have been reading forums all day, and it seems to be a problem everywhere.

I am using BT infinity broadband in the UK with the BT home hub and it is frustrating beyond belief.

I cannot use wireless networks when travelling as it is absolutely useless.

My wife uses an I phone and has no problems anywhere.

I never thought I would say this, but it certainly looks like it is tiime to change from Blackberry after 9 years.

Such a pitty they cannot get the basics sorted, because all the complicated aspects of the phone works perfect.

If there is any hope out there, please let me know!?!?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

BIS and BES serives ofer wifi uses a VPN connection that some older routers will have an issue with,

it is not a Torch issue. I had similar issue with a 9700.

BT has been using some older hardware that does not support the VPN connection. See if you can get new hardware if possible.

I have heard of people getting a wireless router and connecting it via wire to the BT router to get it fixed.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V