06-26-2012 07:55 AM
Carrier - Vodafone.
The device commences the update and then that's it.
The device stops on the backing-up stage and there is absolutely nothing which will halt the update or complete the update.
My device actually drained its battery overnight whilst stuck.
Battery pulls don't work. The phone re-opens on the broken stage after it reboots.
I need help fast folks.
Thanks in advance.
[I know it probably happens, but I've personally never heard of anyone's iPhone ever bricking. This is one the reasons which contributes to Apple being taken seriously as a consumer company and RIM not being taken particularly seriously, not anymore.]
Solved! Go to Solution.
06-26-2012 11:23 AM
Hi and Welcome to the Community!
You did not tell us which, of the multiple, method of updating you actually attempted. Wireless update? Tethered via Desktop Manager? Tethered via BB Update Website? Loader.exe?
From your post, I guess that you have done the Wireless update...which, btw, I always recommend AGAINST. The reason for that is the wireless update takes an on-device backup of all of your data, which it then uses to restore after the update succeeds. But, if the update fails for any reason, that backup file is lost forever...if you don't have some other backup of your data, you lose everything.
So, if my guess is correct, what you might try is to boot up in Safe Mode:
Hopefully, that will prevent the update from proceeding. Then, use the Desktop Software to take a manual backup as well as use it to perform your update. On a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):
1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages
2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed
3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:
4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML (there will be at least one, perhaps 2)
5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.
Don't forget to backup.
If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:
Good luck and let us know!
06-27-2012 10:45 AM
Thanks for your advice.
In fact, before you sent it [even though you did reply relatively quickly] I had read somewhere that the issue that I had seems to be caused by the device trying to back up [yes it *was* an OTA update I was trying to do] and running out of space.
Tellingly, the process seemed to get stuck, multiple times, as the back-up process was trying to save my Social Feeds settings, files etc.
Since I follow a lot of people on Twitter [5.4K] and also have FB perhaps the back-up getting stuck at that stage was not surprising.
I therefore endeavoured to start the entire update process again, via the Desktop Software.
I managed to re-start and paradoxically, I could at that point break the cycle of automatic re-tries by the updater software.
I then cancelled the update altogether.
Then I deleted Social Feeds, Twitter and Facebook.
Then I re-commenced the update process again - OTA as it happens.
This time, albeit long-winded, the update was successful.
I am now in the process of reinstalling the delted Apps.
[No, I didn't forget to back-up before re-starting the update!]
06-27-2012 10:50 AM
Excellent! BTW...the "Social Feeds" component (the detail of which was not included in your original post) is actually the key, and a known issue...see this:
What you performed was a bit of a hybrid of these two KBs, but accomplished the same end result.
02-04-2013 02:57 PM