01-08-2012 05:57 PM
01-08-2012 09:16 PM
I am on AT&T, and the 2404 update is the bundle that fixed my issues. I did completely delete the pairing from my phone and car and then re-pair. That seemed to do the trick.
01-08-2012 09:39 PM
Hmm. I had deleted the pairing and then reestablihsed it but that was before I had downloaded the latest version (2404 in my case). So maybe I will try that again and see if that does the trick. Otherwise I will do a ceremenonial dance and chant incantations. Failing that I appear to be out of options.
Thanks for the help ...
01-11-2012 01:06 PM
No luck on this ..
I have done the following little experiment :
1) Delete Bluetooth phones in BMW and "find" and establish connectivity with my old BlackBerry 9800 (after having removed and re-configured). The Bluetooth connectivity works fine – can read phone book etc. and it will dial a call (except being my old Torch I no longer has the AT&T connection so call does not proceed). However Bluetooth connectivity seems fine and holds over time
2) Do exactly the same with my Blackberry 9810. Per my previous messages, the BB9810/BMW connection goes away after approx. 5 minutes and hangs up my 9810 phone.
For the record :
Blackberry 9800 : Software v 6.0 bundle 695 (v 184.108.40.206, platform 220.127.116.11)
Blackberry 9810 : Software v 7.0 bundle 2404 (v18.104.22.1683, Platform 22.214.171.1246)
At this point I don’t see any way out of this (beyond the obvious replace BB9810 with iPhone or Droid ..).
ANy other suggestions are welcome !
01-31-2012 04:36 PM
So it seems that the OS upgrade was a false alarm. After a few days, I started getting more dropped connections.
On another board, I read people having similar issues with the Bold 9900, and a BMW dealer had said it was actually an issue on the BMW side with trying to download too many messages.
So,...I did a couple of things that seemed to have helped:
-- downloaded the newest BMW software upgrade (released in Dec, I think)
-- On my Torch, I disabled the it getting message. In the bluetooth connections menu, select MAP options and deselect everything
-- deleted and re-pair the phone
Did it this morning, and so far have been able to conduct two long phone calls without any issues! Granted, I can't see my email in the console, but I'll settle for phone calls.
Hope that helps!