Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: torch 9810
My Carrier: vodaphone

Torch 9810 firmware

Hi all. I will try to make this as short and concise as possible. I am from the US currently living abroad in the UK for the last 3 years. During my last visit home (Chicago) I purchased an unlocked Torch 9810 from Target  as a replacement for my broken Torch 9800.  After I placed my order, I was notified that the phone would not ship in time before I left for the UK . After complaining to the Target rep, they did manage to ship me an unlocked 9810. I am guessing that they unlocked an AT&T phone as it is branded as such. At first I was worried this phone would not work, but when I put my Vodafone(UK) sim card in, it worked fine. I was able to remove the logo from the bezel, but I am now stuck with the AT&T firmware. Is there any way to flash this to an unbranded firmware? As I paid close to 500 USD for this phone, I find it a little irksome to have a provider's firmware that I do not use..... If I had not had to return to the UK as quickly as I did I would have returned the phone and tried purchasing an unbranded 9810 from another store. The necessity of having a working cell phone before I left the States outweighed the firmware issue. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Torch 9810 firmware

All operating systems released can be made "generic" by simply following the instructions below.

"Firmware" is loaded at the factory, and cannot be changed.

"Operating Systems" software can be installed by the user.

NOTE: Installing such an operating system will NOT remove the flash start up screen showing the AT&T logo. That is hard coded to the firmware (which you are NOT messing with).

Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below.

See the link below for the download, and follow these simple installation instructions.

First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

or the latest official release here:  https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=9FF0525C64BF3D4C9957A1D4397F...

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: torch 9810
My Carrier: vodaphone

Hi and thanks for the quick response Smiley Happy  It is indeed the at&t logo I am trying to remove both on power on and power off, hence my request for a firmware flash. I have been able to load other vendor software without issue, so that part works OK. I guess it's not possible to get a "factory" firmware(unbranded) direct from RIM, if I am asking that correctly?

I don't understand why when purchasing an unlocked phone, one must be saddled with some carrier's advert. As I see it (perhaps mistakenly) I own this phone, and not at&t.

Highlighted
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

BobZ wrote:

I don't understand why when purchasing an unlocked phone, one must be saddled with some carrier's advert. As I see it (perhaps mistakenly) I own this phone, and not at&t.

Because in actuality, RIM does not sell "unlocked" devices such as you're looking for... they are sold through vendors and mobile providers.

It's not a big deal, it's not an "advert", just a startup logo.

And yes, you own the device, not AT&T, but you chose to purchase an AT&T branded device.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code