Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Torch 9810 not turning on

Hello!

I have a Torch 9810 that will not turn on.  The battery was charged and the phone was working fine and it suddenly turned off and will not turn back on.  I have taken the battery out and put it back in and that still doesn't work.  What should I do?

Thanks for any information.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Torch 9810 not turning on

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

I will try this.  Thank you for the info.

Contributor

OK!  I have tried both of the suggested solutions and none of them work.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Any suggestions on repair services in the Seattle/Tacoma area?

Thanks!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

None worked. Well, the first section certainly could result that way I suppose. But the second section? That one seems to be more geared toward providing information to guide to a next step...but, with "none of them work", it's impossible to guess how that second section actually worked out, and thereby come up with that course of action.

Nevertheless,if you are looking for a repair location, then you can always start with TMobile?

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello sdgardine!

I tried the charging process as described and the use of another battery and trying my battery in another phone.  None of these made the phone turn on.  I was at AT&T because that is who originally provided the phone, thinking they would have some information to help me.  I asked them if they knew what might be wrong with the phone.  There answer was that they don't do repair work because it's not worth it.  They would rather have you buy a new phone, or make sure you buy insurance so the phone can be replaced.

It is seemingly difficult to even find someone local to troubleshoot the phone and attempt a fix.  Odd to me.  I guess most phones have become so easily replaceable that no one takes the time to try and repair them.

To me the phone acts as if it's getting no power, obviously.  I should be able to touch the battery terminals with a volt meter and determine from that whether the battery is charged, correct?  Frustrating to say the least!!

Thanks!

Hall of Famer III

mhall131313 wrote:

I tried the charging process as described and the use of another battery and trying my battery in another phone.  None of these made the phone turn on.

OK...so if that other battery was truly "known good" (as in, from an identical BB with a fully charged battery that presents no issues), then that leaves what happened with the other BB when using your battery. If that other BB powered up and worked fine, then we have narrowed the problem down to your BB itself, and truly ruled out your battery as causal. Given that all of this is deductive reasoning, knowing the results of all steps actually matters quite a bit.

mhall131313 wrote:

I was at AT&T because that is who originally provided the phone, thinking they would have some information to help me.  I asked them if they knew what might be wrong with the phone.  There answer was that they don't do repair work because it's not worth it.  They would rather have you buy a new phone, or make sure you buy insurance so the phone can be replaced.

It is always so interesting to hear the stories from the retail shops! So often what you experienced is indeed true. Then again, if that was a franchise shop rather than an AT&T company store, that could be different. I know that when one calls up AT&T and gets to their dedicated BB support folks, the results are very different...those folks are fully trained and really do know what they are doing (at least that's my experience in talking to them). You can't get to them in person, of course...they may be located anywhere in the world. The local shops always seem to have a wide variation of training and experience, especially when it comes to the highly-specialized BB platform.

Your real challenge is that you may be out of warranty...if so, then it's up to you to find a local (to you) BB hardware expert who can troubleshoot, diagnose, and perhaps repair your device.

mhall131313 wrote:

It is seemingly difficult to even find someone local to troubleshoot the phone and attempt a fix.  Odd to me.  I guess most phones have become so easily replaceable that no one takes the time to try and repair them.

Most consumer electronics have become this way...just the nature of the market.

mhall131313 wrote:

To me the phone acts as if it's getting no power, obviously.  I should be able to touch the battery terminals with a volt meter and determine from that whether the battery is charged, correct?  Frustrating to say the least!!

Well, the results of that other BB using your battery would give you this same test result, without having to be an electrician. Or maybe I'm missing something still?

Good luck!

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

How long have you had the phone? It's also possible that the battery cannot hold it's charge anymore, so you may want to look into getting a new battery.
Contributor

Thanks!!  I will see if I can't find a repair guy.  It seems the smaller, independent guys are the most knowledgeable when it comes to repairs.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

So, I found a repair guy and he told me the phone is broken and he can't fix it!!!  Kind of funny!!  Yeah, I think I knew it was broken.

So, is it really not cost effective to pay someone to try and fix these things?  This is a little frustrating to say the least.