Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Torch 9810 update to os 7.1

Wow!  I can't believe how much detail you went into to try to solve my issue.  I certainly appreciate it.

1. Yes, I installed (not just "downloaded" desktop manager

2. You asked me why I "skipped" step 2, which was to uninstall any BB OS packages.  The reason I skipped this step was that the Windows 7 machine I'm using was brand new in July.  It had never had desktop manager installed, never had a BB OS downloaded to it (I didn't even know that it could be done or how to do it before yesterday) and, in fact, had never had a BB plugged into its USB.  That said, if you can provide instructions on locating and deleting BB OS packages, I'd be happy to go through the exercise of confirming that none exist.

3. You said:

The only time ... that you would not be automatically offered anything is if the BBOS package installed to your PC was the identical one that is presently running on your BB

- I can confirm that my device still indicates it is running 7.0 bundle 1328.  The OS file I downloaded is still in my "downloads" folder so I know it is 7.1.0 release 1208 by the file name.  I definitely did not screw that one up.

4. You said the possible reasons it didn't work could be:

a) the BBOS package is for the wrong model number BB

- again, the OS file is still in my downloads folder and I can confirm by the file name that it is a 9810 file, the same as my 9810 Torch

b) There is no BBOS package at all installed to the PC:

- I presume if I hadn't installed it, I wouldn't have found and deleted the vendor.xml files.

Holy **bleep**!  I decided to relaunch/install the downloaded OS file and go through the motions of re-deleting the vendor.xml file and re-launching the loader.exe file just to say that I'd covered off that base, except this time when it launched, the application screen didn't just list the apps; it also listed OS 7.1.

It now appears to be upgrading the OS to 7.1 as we speak.  I absolutely did nothing different this time than the other times (which I don't expect you to believe).  I suppose it is possible that something in my original install of the OS on my PC was corrupted.

.... (45 or so minutes later).

Well, it looks like 7.1 installed and is running fine.  I appreciate your help, particularly your insistence that the instructions "should" work.  I don't know why they didn't the first two times (although I have a good guess about the first), but they did the third time!

New Contributor
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: vodafone IN

knottyrope wrote:

Manual device OS upgrade instructions:

1. First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use. or choose a diff carrier that has it released.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

2. Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion and unplug BlackBerry. Get DM here http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

3. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."

5. This step is not needed unless there is an issue on next steps. Use BBSAK from BBSAK.org and wipe the device (after doing a complete backup) then after you get the error 507 (no OS installed) then proceed to step 6

6. remove internet connection to PC and reboot PC.

7. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file was in.

8. if you did Step 5, restore from back up. Follow this KB if needed http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10339

Enjoy the new OS.

Thanks for the guide. It worked. I did all steps except deleting vendor.xml.

I don't know what difference did it make.

But thanks anyways. Now i have os 7.1

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

TAdvisorKing wrote:

Well, it looks like 7.1 installed and is running fine.  I appreciate your help, particularly your insistence that the instructions "should" work.  I don't know why they didn't the first two times (although I have a good guess about the first), but they did the third time!

I am glad you got it going. It's pretty much not possible to know exactly why it didn't work correctly the first 2 times, but I am happy you got it working finally.

You are most welcome, and enjoy!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................