Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: us-blackberry 9810
My Carrier: 5 year

Re: Torch 9810 update to os 7.1

How to update my blackberry 9810 from opera mini 7.1 on my mobile site download?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

dera20005 wrote:
How to update my blackberry 9810 from opera mini 7.1 on my mobile site download?

Hello,

Update what, exactly? Your installed Opera version? Your BBOS? Some apps? Something else?

All of the native OTA BB Installations for apps require the native BB Browser, and will not work via Opera.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

These instructions (the 8 steps first posted on 4/12/2012) were excellent and easy to follow, but they did not work.  Please let me know what I did wrong.

I have a 9810 on the Rogers system.  It is currently running OS 7.0.0 bundle 1328.  When I try to update it either over the air or using Blackberry Desktop Software, it tells me that my software is up to date, even though it clearly is not.  So I tried these instructions to manually load the 7.1 OS.

I followed the instructions (including following the link to download and then run the 7.1.0 bundle 2108 OS file for Rogers) and everything went well, right up to the point that I executed the loader file, the loading completed, and when it was finished, nothing had changed.  It did not update the OS to 7.1.  It was still on 7.0 bundle 2108. I did it again with the same result. 

Can you confirm the exact sequence of what should happen (and how long it should take) when I execute the loader file and pinpoint where I went wrong?  Here is what I saw after I double-clicked loader.exe:

- Welcome to Application Loader Wizard screen (click next)

- Communication port selection screen (select "detect communication port", click next)

- Device password screen (enter password, click next)

- Retrieving device configuration scren (shows progress reading three sets of info, then automatically loads next screen)

- Device Application Selection screen (gives me the option to select which applications to load.  Doesn't seem to give any indication that it will also be loading the new OS, just the applications that are alreayd loaded. (select checkbox of one app that wasn't already loaded, click next)

- Completing the application loader wizard screen (click finish)

- The loading operation was successful screen (click close)

The loading took about 10 seconds, maybe less.  The entire process from launching the executable file was less than a minute.  I was expecting it to take a while.  After it was complete, I checked my device version (Options / Device / About device versions) and it still read OS 7.0 bundle 1328.  It hadn't updated to 7.1

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hello TAdvisorKing

The instructions may be dated. What you describe sounds like the OS package you installed to your PC was actually ignored, and the automatic process took over, which then checks the Internet for your carriers (as per device VendorID) supported OS packages, and does nothing if there is nothing newer than you are presently running. With later OS levels (starting somewhere in the 7.0 range), many OS packages actually have two VENDOR.XML files to delete rather than just one...if either remains on your computer, then the OS package is ignored.

Here's an updated process, including suggested locations for finding and deleting the required VENDOR.XML files:

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below.

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

6a) For changing your installed BB OS level (upgrade or downgrade), you can launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC.

6b) Or, for reloading your currently installed BB OS level as well as for changing it, bypass the Desktop Software and use LOADER.EXE directly, by proceeding to step 2 in this process:

If, during the processes of 6a or 6b, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the additional info.  Initially, I was a little skeptical because there wasn't much in your instructions that was different than what I did.  I did delete the vendor.xml file in the apploader folder after executing the OS update .exe file, so I was very surprised to search for the second vendor.xml file and find the file I thought I deleted.  My only guess was that after I deleted it, I did something that triggered something that went out and got it again.  I do know that before I attempted the OS load, I unplugged the DSL cable to cut off internet access.

My only other question at this point is about the second vendor.xml file.  What I found wasn't in a folder that sounded close enough to where you said it would be for me to be sure that it was the one I wanted.  And it wasn't simply called "vendor.xml".  The file was located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<my user name>\Application Data\Research in Motion\BlackBerry Desktop\Updates\<a long alphanumeric string>\Data1.cab

The file name is:

Vendor.xml.D1C32DD6_ ... <and the rest of a long alphanumeric string>

Is that it?  I'm running XP Pro, if that helps.

Once again, thanks for your help with this.

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9105, BlackBerry Curve 9220

It is always recommended to download the most compatible, latest software version for your device using the carrier's website.

Go to www.google.com and on the search field, type in <name of carrier> BlackBerry device software

Click on the link that would tell you "Download for <Carrier> - BlackBerry - Software Updates 2" or something like this.

Then it will ask you to download it and fill out the necessary fields. It is not mandatory though to select "Yes" on the radio buttons to receive RIM communications.

Make sure that before you download the software, temporarily disable any firewall or security programs on your computer because these programs may interrupt the download process and most of the time, the software is not downloaded successfully.

Follow this link:

Install or update device software on a BlackBerry smartphone without using BlackBerry Desktop Softwa...

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=KB16251&sliceId=2&cm...

For any other BlackBerry-technical related issues, please contact your carrier for in-depth support.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join me on my BBM Network as well as BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: 2A5706AD
Twitter: @sesa_jeckieboo | @i_am_jecka
WeChat: Sesa_Domina_Jecka | i_am_jecka
Trusted Contributor

Thanks.

Per my messages above, I've had no problem locating the proper version of OS 7.1 from my carrier (Rogers).  My problem (which I may be on my way to solving, subject to a response to my second question above) is effecting the installation step (not the download step).

Hall of Famer III

TAdvisorKing wrote:

My only other question at this point is about the second vendor.xml file.  What I found wasn't in a folder that sounded close enough to where you said it would be for me to be sure that it was the one I wanted.  And it wasn't simply called "vendor.xml".  The file was located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<my user name>\Application Data\Research in Motion\BlackBerry Desktop\Updates\<a long alphanumeric string>\Data1.cab

The file name is:

Vendor.xml.D1C32DD6_ ... <and the rest of a long alphanumeric string>

Is that it?  I'm running XP Pro, if that helps.

I've never seen it in the location you state, nor with the filename as you state...what I think you've done is opened a CAB file, which is similar to a ZIP file, and contains a bunch of other files. But, CAB files are used for installation to the PC, not for operation on the PC. So you indeed found the VENDOR.XML file, it's just that's the file in it's pre-installed state. You need to find it in it's post-installed (to the PC) state.

It's been a very very long time since I've done this in XP, so I don't recall the differences anymore. Also, it is not even positive that there are two files to delete...with some releases, even since they started the two files, there has been just one. It's been quite impossible to keep up with, hence the instructions needing to be a bit "fuzzy" since it's impossible to include the complete set of variables that are possible.

But, with the result you reported when you attempted to actually perform the operation, it was clear that the BB OS file installed to the PC was ignored by LOADER.EXE...and not deleting the VENDOR.XML file(s) can be one of the reasons for that to happen.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your continued help with this.

So to try to make things easier, I've started over with a Windows 7 machine.  The short answer, unfortunately, is that my result is still the same.  It does not seem to install OS 7.1.  Here are the steps I followed.

- I downloaded desktop manager and backed up my phone

- I downloaded the most recent OS 7.1 file from my carrier (this took about 15 minutes, I think)

- I ran the downloaded file

- I found the two vendor.xml files, exactly where you said they would be and deleted them (to my recycle bin ... I assume it shouldn't matter whether or not I permanently delete them but let me know if otherwise).

- I launched desktop manager and it told me there were no updates for my phone

- I manually launched loader.exe from the AppLoader folder

- It took me through the installation process exactly as I described in my first message above, including the list of installed applications and eventually the message on the "completing the application loader wizard" that "no actionas are required".

The "installation" step took about 30 seconds.  I presume it should be longer to load the OS.  Any suggestions?

Also, out of curiosity, what screens or steps should I be getting differently or in addition to the screen listing the installed applications during the "installation" step?  Is there a screen that tells me it is contemplating installing OS 7.1, or is 7.1 listed as one of the applications on the list of applications to install?

Hall of Famer III

OK thanks...so I'm going to be very very picky here, for doing any of this incorrectly invalidates the whole thing, and it's very easy to accidentally do something wrong.

TAdvisorKing wrote:

- I downloaded desktop manager and backed up my phone

OK...that's step 1. Although, you say only "downloaded"...not also installed...I will assume that you also installed...if not, then some prior installed version of the Desktop Software was used for this.

TAdvisorKing wrote:

- I downloaded the most recent OS 7.1 file from my carrier (this took about 15 minutes, I think)

- I ran the downloaded file

OK...so that's step 4. But, is there a reason you skipped step 2? Having more than one BBOS package installed to your PC can be one of the reasons for failure.

TAdvisorKing wrote:

- I found the two vendor.xml files, exactly where you said they would be and deleted them (to my recycle bin ... I assume it shouldn't matter whether or not I permanently delete them but let me know if otherwise).

Step 5...good.

TAdvisorKing wrote:

- I launched desktop manager and it told me there were no updates for my phone

OK...that's step 6a. This is the first indicator that the OS package you installed to your PC was ignored...done correctly, when you first launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB, it should right away offer you the updated OS that you installed to your PC. There is no need to actually choose anything inside of the Desktop Software...when this all goes right, the Desktop Software makes the offer before you do anything else.

So, all subsequent steps (e.g., 6b) are likewise moot since the installed BBOS package was ignored (technically, the Desktop Software simply calls LOADER.EXE). The only time, by using 6a, that you would not be automatically offered anything is if the BBOS package installed to your PC was the identical one that is presently running on your BB (hence, the only real reason for 6b is a true reload...but it works for all others as well...but the Desktop Software doesn't work as well for a true reload). From all you've said, the OS you are attempting to load to your BB is not the same that it presently is running on...so something else must be wrong causing that package to be ignored.

These are the typical reasons that a BBOS package installed to the PC would be ignored:

1. There is a BBOS package installed to the PC, but it's not a valid one (e.g., the installed package is for the wrong model number BB)
  2. There is no BBOS package at all installed to the PC
  3. There is more than one BBOS package installed to the PC
  4. The VENDOR.XML files were not properly deleted, and the carrier source of the package was not the same as the VendorID hard-coded into the BB device
  5. While very rare, the OS package could be corrupt...in which case starting over and using a different package, perhaps from a different carrier, would be in order

In each of those cases, the installed BBOS package is ignored, and the automatic process kicks in, where the software instead seeks out an OS source from the internet. If it can find one, it checks what is available against what is running on the BB, and if there is no update available, it does nothing. If it can't find one, it simply does nothing. And, "do nothing" seems, from all you report, to be the result for you so far.

So, in your case, I can only surmise that one or more of those causes is at play here, and can only advise that you triple and quadruple check everything to be 1000000% certain that none of those causes is the reason. This process works...absolutely...it's worked for thousands of folks...but, as I said, it's very easy to get one of the steps wrong, and the process is 100% unforgiving about any mistakes.