Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Digicel

Torch 9810

Been having the same problem as a few other folks on here with my Torch 9810. Stuck at 75% of a reboot. Tried all the remedies I saw on this forum and none of them worked.  Took the phone in to a  reputable phone repair establishment only to be told that the board is fried and it doesn't make sense to change the board, I should just buy a new phone. This phone is not even a year old.  Does RIM expect me to buy a new BB every year?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Torch 9810

Hello,

As with all things designed and built by humans, BBs are subject to a defect rate of greater than zero. From what you describe, you are unlucky enough to have been the recipient of one such as that.

If your BB is under warranty, you should be able to receive repair/replacement under those terms. If not, then you indeed have a sad decision to make.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Andi_O wrote:

Been having the same problem as a few other folks on here with my Torch 9810. Stuck at 75% of a reboot. Tried all the remedies I saw on this forum and none of them worked.  Took the phone in to a  reputable phone repair establishment only to be told that the board is fried and it doesn't make sense to change the board, I should just buy a new phone. This phone is not even a year old.  Does RIM expect me to buy a new BB every year?

I sorta doubt the board is fried.

Most often what you're seeing is repairable but by someone with the complete directions and knowledge.

I don't know what "all" remedies you've seen.

Try this:

1) Make sure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/
2) On your WinXP PC, go to Start > Run and copy and paste the following line exactly (meaning with the quotation marks):
"c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe" /nojvm

On Win7, you may need to use this line:
"c:\Program Files (x86)\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe" /nojvm"

3) The Application Loader Wizard will appear -- click "Next."
4) In the "Connection:" drop-down menu, you should see "USB-PIN: UNKNOWN". Click the "Next" button.
5) You should then see a list of applications ready to be installed for your Blackberry. Hit Next and Finish and you are well on your way to getting your Blackberry back to life. Congrats! Just don't disconnect anything and let the lengthy process finish completely.

NOTE: If you do not see a list of applications mentioned in step 5 and instead see the message "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator," then you must download Blackberry's Operating System for your carrier and device.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_Operating_System_Downloads
Just select the appropriate carrier and network type, select your Blackberry model from the list and download the latest version. Install this download and follow the above steps again and you should be on the right path.

Article ID: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10144
KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

FYI...I as well considered those possible steps...but for this part from the OP:

Andi_O wrote:

Took the phone in to a  reputable phone repair establishment only to be told that the board is fried

If accurate, then no amount of non-hardware level work would be useful...

Cheers!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

Yea, but. So often something like that is an "easy answer" when the 17 yr old geek with the Droid in his pocket has no knowledge of BlackBerry products.

I doubt it's fried.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Hall of Famer III

Hahahaha! Sadly, oh so very possible indeed!

New Contributor
My Carrier: Hi

I have the same problem. Nobody delivers any kind of support.

Promissed 2 years warranty????

Hall of Famer III

Hello,

Jack_jvr wrote:

I have the same problem. Nobody delivers any kind of support.

Really? The posts on this site are of no use? It seems to me that they indeed do provide some kind of support. Though, as is often stated, nothing here has anything to do with any FORMAL support...this site is a user-to-user community of volunteers, not a user-to/from-RIM channel for any communications. But, thousands of issues are resolved on this site every week...

Jack_jvr wrote:

Promissed 2 years warranty????

That would be unusual...refer to this:

Typically, RIM extends a one year warranty, but the end sellers can vary from that if they so choose. However, if an end seller extends the warranty beyond one year, then it's totally on them to resolve the issue...RIM typically won't agree to support anything beyond what they contractually commit to. In any event, whatever your contract states is what will govern things...and that contract is between you and your original place of purchase.

If you desire help with your issues, then please clarify what they are...or, better still, read above in this thread and actually attempt what is already suggested...you never know, it may actually solve your issue.

Good luck!

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Carrier: Digicel

Tried what you suggested. Didn't work.  

Andi_O wrote:

Tried what you suggested. Didn't work.  

That helps no one help you. Saying "Didn't work" tells us nothing that we can trouble shoot and redirect you to other suggestions.

Knowledge Base Updates