Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: erizon

Torch 9850 Doesn't Power On

I plugged my Torch 9850 into wall charger last night to charge.  I woke up and the LED was slowly blinking red on and off.  I pulled battery and that didn't reboot device.  I plugged device into computer, and blackberry manager and computer recognize device when led is on but when led goes off it disconnects.  It continues to go through this cycle of connecting and disconnect if connected to computer.  Additionally, if I remove the battery the same process happens when connected to computer with no battery message on screen.  Finally, with battery in but disconnected from power and computer the led still continues to blink but wont let me power on.

Please Help...

My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Torch 9850 Doesn't Power On

I have the exact same issue this morning??? Is this another RIM problem or just the Torch 9850? If someone knows, please help!!!
New Contributor

I'm having the same problem!!! This is miserable!!!
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem!  Just a theory but I wonder if this has anything to do with DST.

I'm sorry BlackBerry, but at this rate, your phones suck, your software sucks, time for Android/iPhone. 

My Carrier: US Cellular

I had a similar issue but with a bold recently,the battery was so weak it wouldn't come on until it had charged for quite some time approx. 15 mins or so and then all was fine I don't know if this helps but its worth a thought yeah ? 

New Contributor

I had something similar happen. I plugged the device into the charger overnight (battery was very low before it was plugged in) then this morning it will not turn on.

Red LED blinks at a slow rate (on for about 3 seconds, then off for about 10 seconds, repeats).

I have tried pulling the battery, tried connecting through desktop manager, tried reloading OS (the Torch cannot connect to the PC, at least the PC doesn't see it).

Called Verizon and they were no help - said it has to be replaced.

Visitor
My Device: torch 9850
My Carrier: claro

same thing happened to me!!!! ...

The battery was absolutely dead, i went to bed and let it charging ... when I wope up , the phone never started again ... I read on crackberry that many people had this same issue. I also tried all the tips they were posting with absolutely no luck.

Im a blackberry fan, but I think after this I might think to move On to Android or Iphone.

To top it off.... my problem is even worse, I live in Argentina now... and i dont think verizon will exchange it since I unlocked the phone and use it with a local sim card.

Smiley Sad

i need blackberry technician to help me solve this issue online ... anybody knows how to make that happen?

New Contributor

I went to Verizon - one store clerk plugged the Torch into something and said the screen was dead. I had to get the packaging to exchange it (they would not accept without packaging) and another clerk at a different store told me it was battery, he thinks.

I exchanged to an android phone, which was totally not usable for me.

I went back and got another Torch today.

I tried the app reload and was able to catch the old Torch ONCE in a boot loop where my computer saw it -- my advice it to keep trying that fix since the folks at Verizon could not provide any tech support.

My Blackberry Torch did the same thing to me.

This is the craziest fix I've ever seen. 

Here is what I did.

Purchase a new car charger from Verizon store.... There is a particular kind that has a USB port on it so that you can theoretically charge two devices.  Ignore the main cord . It will do nothing.  Plug a USB cord into the car charger and plug the charger into your car's cigarette lighter.  Remove the battery from the Torch and replace it to reboot.  While the phone is rebooting, plug the USB cord into the phone.  When the phone boots up, a pop up screen appears telling you the phone cannot be charged from this source.  Click the return key to ignore this warning.  Make a phone call or two from the phone while it is plugged in and leave it plugged in for a few minutes.... Like 10 - 15.  Assuming your battery is charged, this does something to reset the power management circuitry inside the phone.  I don't know what.  I only know that it works.

Try it and let me know if it works, gang!

Cheers,

Tony P

Queen City Ballroom

facebook.com/TonyRPrado
New Contributor
My Carrier: BMobile

[ Edited ]

I bought a 9850 a month ago and I was so proud of it, but it is two days since I´ve got the very same problem!! it is not coming ON!! It had the red light the first day but now not even that. I bought it by amazon.com in USA but I live in Trinidad & Tobago, how can I make the warranty efective if this is the case?

I followed the TheBallroomDancer advice but the phone didn´t even boot after reinstalling the battery. I made sure to use a good battery from other 9850 which is working perfectly. I also remove the battery and plugged the charger on the phone and after a few seconds the screen showed a battery sign crossed by a red X, which demostrated that the screen is not the problem. I am sure it is a software/phone problem.