Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860
My Carrier: Etisalat
Accepted Solution

Torch 9860 is not using Wifi at all

Hi all

I purchased BB Torch 9860 before two days and I already have plan for the data package (200 mb). I connected it to my WiFi at home and it shows that it's connected. Now when I'm at home and I want to surf the internet, it's using the carrier data package, but I want it to use the WiFi. I searched all over and I can't find any solution. any help?

Notes:

On the home screen, I can see my carrier name (Etisalat) and my WiFi network name. When I go to "Manage Connections", it shows that I'm connected to the WiFi network; but I've never seen the WiFi signal icon in blue or green or any color than grey (which means the BB is not using the WiFi at all)
 I want to set the default internet access as WiFi. but How ?!
 Some people told me that it will switch automatically between WiFi and data package, but as far as I see, it's not switching at all.

This is my WiFi Diagnosis Report:

Wi-Fi
 Current Profile: Wael Netword
 SSID: Wael Netword
 AP MAC Address: 00:25:9CSmiley Very Happy1:F4:82
 Security Type: WPA Personal
 Local IP Address: 192.168.1.101
 Signal Level: -63 dBm
 Connection Data Rate: 48 Mbps

VPN
 Current Profile:
Concentrator Address:
 Authentication: N/A
 Secure Device IP:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
 Connecting: Error
 Authenticating router: N/A
 Authenticating server: N/A
 Empower your Business with BlackBerry® and Mobile Solutions from Etisalat

Any ideas?
Appreciated in advance . . .

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Torch 9860 is not using Wifi at all

here are some hints:
when your Wi-Fi connector is activated on your Torch, you get a grey Wi-Fi logo on your home screen.

when your Torch is connected for real to your local Wi-Fi network, the Wi-Fi icon turns bright white. So if it does not, open the Wi-Fi network details (maybe you incorrectly typed in the shared key for instance)

now, once the Wi-Fi icon is bright white, it means that anything on your device will preferably connect to the internet world using Wi-Fi instead of the cellular network.

I know you have a BlackBerry 7 device, but please read this article from the public knowledge base, it is quite near to what should be happening on your device, in theory:

Article ID: KB23699 Simplified browser selection in BlackBerry 6

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Thank you so much for the valuable reply. Now I understood my phone much better. Thank again Smiley Happy
New Contributor
My Carrier: Vodafone ireland

Why can't RIM make their products more user friendly like iphone and android in terms of using wifi only in doing web browsing? I have the same nightmare using my new torch9860. RIM should fix this issue if they don't want their current customers to migrate to iphone or android phones....
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello Nodejerte,

I have also asked myself the same question. My conclusion is that RIM is proud of giving a user experience that honors very few data exchanged compared to other devices, meaning that people can benefit the same experience, but with less data involved. This is good for BlackBerry owners, but also for the network "ecology". You may be aware that in New York city, people are getting crazy because all the iPhone users use too much 3G data, and other 3G users using other brands than Apple are also affected by all that bandwidth usage.

And for RIM to provide that part of the "genuine contract", all the data has to go through RIM servers. This is the reason why you need the "data plan" when using a BlackBerry smartphone.
And this is true both for cellular network (CDMA/GSM/LTE) and for Wi-Fi network (the scheme is the same : you have to go through RIM servers).
This is the reason why the only thing you can do using Wi-Fi without the proper plan is just browse the web.

I too feel it strange (RIM is the only brand that requires its own data plan), but on the other hand it is the only way to face bandwidth usage when on the other hand carriers refuse to invest in more cellular antennas.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Carrier: Vodafone ireland

Security is top notch for RIM. That's their main plus factor. :-)
New Contributor
My Carrier: Idea Cellular

Hi Xandrex and everyone else,

This is my first BB and I am all over the place. I have the exact same issue which aous101 mentioned initially. Though in my case I see the Wi-Fi icon as Bright White. However, it never chooses the Wi-Fi over the regular data plan! Smiley Sad

How do I know this? I see that the speed is less and I see the diagonal bidirectional arrows inside the square of my network tower symbol.

Here's my diagnosticsc report:

Wi-Fi
Current Profile: Bhalo Bari
SSID: Bhalo Bari
AP MAC Address: 98:FC:11:C9:B6:6B
Security Type: WPA2 Personal
Local IP Address: 192.168.1.101
Signal Level: -54 dBm
Connection Data Rate: 54 Mbps

VPN
Current Profile:
Concentrator Address:
Authentication: N/A
Secure Device IP:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
Connecting: Error
Authenticating router: N/A
Authenticating server: N/A

Contributor

Hi shourya_saha,

Regarding the Wi-Fi, I'd tell you exactly what happened with me. After using the BB for long time, I've discovered that the carrier do something with it. I was using Etisalat as my carrier and I could not surf the internet using Wi-Fi, but after I switched to Du carrier, guess what ! I'm able to use the Wi-Fi all the time without any problem and the internet speed boosts 500% !!

of course when I get to the street where there is no Wi-Fi, I can use my Du data plan package and the speed will be normal as compared to Etisalat.

I know this sounds crazy but, the carrier do something with your blackberry when you register to the network in order to use your plan all the time and spend all your bandwidth, so they will charge you more if you exceed the monthly limit. THEY DO THIS !

unless if someone have another explanation to what happened with me and my friends too in the UAE.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Idea Cellular

Hi aous101,

You have a point there. However, all plans sold by my carrier are of unlimited usage. The only way they differ is which contents you can use in an unlimited fashion, eg. browsing-email or chat-email or everything. My plan covers everything. Thus, it wouldn't make sense that my carrier would want its bandwidth deliberately monopolized by me. So, I am still stuck! Smiley Sad

New Contributor
My Carrier: Globe

i have the same problem as yours. and be it worse, mine doesn't use my data service plan too. i inserted a sim with a registered data plan already and the edge indicator should have become capitalized but it won't. i can't even use my facebook and twitter with it. even the app world is not usable, it keeps on saying "the data service is not operational'. please help me. i don't know what's hapening. is my phone really busted or something is just not set right? please help me immediately.