Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: torch 9860
My Carrier: MTNCameroon
Accepted Solution

Torch 9860 trackball

The trackball of my 9860 is not functioning, can anyone help me on this?.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Torch 9860 trackball

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please double check your model number:

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

The 9860 has a TrackPad, not a TrackBall...

Nevertheless, anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Further, "is not functioning" is a bit vague. Can you expand on that? Does it do nothing at all? Or do some things work and others not. Please be explicit.

Good luck and let us know!!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: torch 9860
My Carrier: MTNCameroon

Re: Torch 9860 trackpad

Hello,

Thanks for your welcome and corrections. I Followed your advice and it worked. Thank you very much!!!!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Re: Torch 9860 trackpad

You are most welcome...enjoy!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860
My Carrier: Airtel India

Hi, I event after I restart my  the trackball not works properly. I was not able to move the cursur to the designated location. Sometimes moves faster. Many time no movement @ all.. I am having this issue for the past few day.. Help me how to resolve this
Hall of Famer III

msaravanaganesh wrote:
Hi, I event after I restart my  the trackball not works properly. I was not able to move the cursur to the designated location. Sometimes moves faster. Many time no movement @ all.. I am having this issue for the past few day.. Help me how to resolve this

Hello!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then consider more drastic remedy attempts -- e.g., WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, "Bare Bones" reload diagnostic process, etc. Also consider that, if the problem is hardware, then no amount of internet-distance or self diagnosis nor any OS/software related solutions will be of use.

Good luck and let us know!

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860
My Carrier: Airtel India

Hi

In safemode and also after wipe the trackball did works. Each and every restart make i work for few mins.

Can you give few more hints about "Bare Bones" reload diagnostic process.

What would be ur advice if its a H/w issue?

Thanks

Hall of Famer III

msaravanaganesh wrote:

In safemode and also after wipe the trackball did works. Each and every restart make i work for few mins.

That description makes it sound even more like a hardware issue -- as the device heats/cools, functions change. That to me indicates something inside that is connecting/disconnecting (e.g., shorting out) as the device temperature changes.

msaravanaganesh wrote:

Can you give few more hints about "Bare Bones" reload diagnostic process.

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

msaravanaganesh wrote:

What would be ur advice if its a H/w issue? 

Only in-hand evaluation by a qualified hardware technician can give you a proper diagnosis and estimate. All we can do is rule out OS/software issues...but there is no way, at an internet-distance, to truly diagnose a hardware issue. If you have warranty and have not voided that, then seek support under those terms. Otherwise, seek a local (to you) shop with a qualified BB hardware technician.

Good luck!