Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Torch App Error 606 + Can't connect to desktop Manager

Hi,

I was backing up my blackberry torch last night and the connection was disconnected during the backup. When the phone restarted the message "App Error 606" / "Reset" came up. I can't do anything on my phone except for reset it, and pulling the battery does nothing.

When I try to connect it to blackberry desktop software it wont connect... I left it for an hour and it still just said that it was connecting.

I also tried connecting to BBSAK and it couldn't connect there either, so I can't reset it to factory settings. I checked the desktop manager and it recognizes the USB port as connected to a blackberry device but that is about as close as I can get to connecting to anything.

I have a backup of all of my information from before this happened so I don't mind completely resetting my phone, but I have no idea how to do this without being able to:

a) connect it to the computer

b) do anything except reset on the phone

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Mike

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Torch App Error 606 + Can't connect to desktop Manager

Hi Mike,

I'm afraid I cannot offer any advice but I have had exactly the same thing happen to me today. Fortunately I managed to back up my phone (as I hadn't done it since Decemeber!) but after that I cannot connect at all to my Desktop Manager. I get the same error message on a white screen too.

My phone is running awfully slow and I cannot read / open text messages as every time I try, it crashes the phone and I have to pull the battery to get it going again. Same applies with my BBM. It looks as if Email is fine, and I've been using a Twitter client fine also. Are you experiencing these problems with text messages / BBM?

I was going to try and delete all via the Desktop Manager or restore from when I backed it up in Decemeber but obviously this is not an option now as I cannot connect to Desktop Manager.

I thought I may have downloaded a dodgy theme - downloaded a free one yesterday from Blackberry App Manager but have since deleted it and reverted back to my Vodafone theme that came with the phone. The only other 'weird' occurance before I had these problems - I got a WhatsApp message from a contact number I didn't know and it was all in Arabic. I have since deleted WhatsApp from my phone also. These instances may not be related to the problems with my phone but I'm clutching at straws!!

Thanks
Bonnie

Love my Blackberry Torch 9800
Vodafone / OS 6.0.0.246
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: O2

I have exactly the same message on the screen and cannot connect to desktop manager. I have no idea what to do.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Singtel

i am having the exact same problem here.

these are the steps that lead to it:

i tried to add another email this morning,

i go into Setup > Email Setup

the blackberry says there is an update for "Email Setup Application"

i go ahead with the update.

during the update, it prompted me that there are new packages to be installed as well,

so naturally i pressed ok.

update complete.

pop up said that the blackberry needed to reboot.

i pressed reboot now.

then it got stuck.

everytime it finished booting up, i am stuck at the "App Error 606 / Reset"

nothing i can do here.

so i pressed reset.

it goes back to that screen again.

i thought of resetting it to factory setting.

so i connect to my laptop, and turn on the Blackberry Desktop Manager.

when it was plugged in, the status stays in "Connecting" forever, i waited.. an hour..

and then now what?

this is blackberry's own forum for christ sake.

can some rep reply back here and tell us what to do?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Someone already mentioned this and was unsuccessful with it, but please download a program called BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife) to your PC.

Once that's installed, connect your device to the PC and launch BBSAK.  Hopefully the program will recognize your device.  If it does, then choose the option to wipe your OS.  If this is successful, you will see an app error 507 on your screen, which means you've successfully wiped the OS.

If you get this far, you'll be able to reload the OS on your device.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9810, 9860, 9900, 9800, 9780 and 4xBB other models
My Carrier: BESx2/BISx3

Try in Safe mode, remove last installed 3-th-party appliction, may be it's help you?

Safe mode:

When starting the BlackBerry smartphone, safe mode can be used to prevent third-party applications from running automatically. Safe mode is designed to allow troubleshooting or remove any unwanted applications.

To turn on safe mode, complete the following steps:

1. Remove and reinsert the BlackBerry smartphone battery.
  2. When the red light-emitting diode (LED) light goes out, press and hold the Escape key as the BlackBerry smartphone is loading. See KB05470 for the location of the Escape key. (The Escape key is located on the right side of the trackball, above the keyboard on the BlackBerry smartphone.Use the Escape key to exit a screen, move back a page in the browser, close a message, or close a menu.
  3. When the dialog box appears, click OK.

Note: Safe mode is indicated by a safe mode indicator in the BlackBerry smartphone status section of the Home screen.

To turn off safe mode, remove and reinsert the BlackBerry smartphone battery.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Be sure to click Likes! for those who have helped you.

If your query is resolved then please click on “Accept as Solution”.

New Contributor

I fixed my bb last night with BBSAK
I wipe the device and install the new os manually from loader.exe
But I tried to update the email setup application again and it goes to the same condition again.
App error 606.
So I wiped it again and install again
So it proves 2 things.
1 the update definitelly has bugs!
And 2. The fixing method definitelly works.
When are they going to fix this?
I cannot add another mail here.
Forums Veteran I

[ Edited ]

adelwin wrote:
But I tried to update the email setup application again and it goes to the same condition again.
App error 606.
I cannot add another mail here.

So when you say you "tried to update the email setup application" is this a prompt you are getting asking you to update the software on your device, or you're just trying to add an additional e-mail account through the E-mail Setup Wizard?

Who is your service provider and what OS do you have on your device currently?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor

i initially wanted to add another mail.. the thrid one fyi..

i went to Setup > Email Accounts

it then says "Checking for update"

it prompted me "Do you want to update?" then an option yes/no

if i pick no, it goes back to home screen..

if i pick yes then it proceeds to update..

then when finally it finishes, it says reboot now/reboot later..

no matter which one i pick, after i click one option then it reboots.. then freezes on the App Error 606 screen

i tried this 3 times last night.. i tried all paths..

since i figured i already found a sure fire way to fix...

Forums Veteran I

So what OS do you have on the device?

I think you might have to do another wipe and OS reload with a different OS.  Something seems to be amiss with the one you keep reloading.

I'd use the official .534 release from Bell Mobility which you can get here.

Back up your device first, then download and install that OS.  Once it's installed on your PC, navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader.  Scroll to the bottom of the folder and delete the file called "vendor.xml".

Do another OS wipe with BBSAK.  Once the device has been wiped, close BBSAK and disconnect your device.  Reconnect your device, then in that same folder where you deleted the "vendor.xml" file, double click on the Loader executable towards the top of the folder.  It'll have a little phone icon next to it.

Hopefully this will all go smooth, which it should, and you won't have to worry about any more updates to the e-mail application.

Let us know how it goes!