Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Torch App Error 606 + Can't connect to desktop Manager

Thanks for the warning. So far I had no prompts for an update. From what you are sayimg, I would be sure they will fix this very quickly.

It seems that with these very sophisticated devices there will always be issues. The technology is extremely complex and the variables are nearly infinite.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Starhub

Just bought the phone they day before.... error 606 occurred yesterday.

Went to the carrier got the phone changed... was working fine till I added another e-mail acct.

Got the prompt to update, followed by error 606 again.

This means 2 phones in 2.5 days

Doesnt help that I'm using a Mac too....

Anyone know if it's the addition of a new e-mail that's causing the problem, or if it's just an update that prompts?

Forums Advisor III

What happens when you remove the account you added, and then re-start the phone with a battery pull to re-set it? 

From what I've read there are a number of things that can cause the Error 606 code.

Some people said they fixed the fault by wiping the phone and re-installing the operting system. I read a few comments that entering the wrong password too many times for the phone gave them this error.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Awhile back I posted my experience with the bb email app forcing an update that causes the bb to shut down and present an ERROR 606 . . . i too had to get a new phone.  

I dealt with a bb tech regarding this situation, and while we were on the phone, he actually received a message from corporate in regards to the faulty bb email app upgrade and advised me NOT to try to add emails onto my torch using the bb email app.  Basically, I had to add my emails via the bis site via a computer NOT my bb torch (blackberry back office for carriers).

This was in MAY.  We are now going into JULY and they have yet fixed the problem.  I have noticed that in the bb app world, the bb email upgrade is NO longer there.  However, when u go to set up you emails, it still prompts you to upgrade and then ERROR 606.

The bb tech told me the problem was on their top priority list and should be solved in within 2 to 6 mos. (lol)

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

also, it has nothing to do with the fact you are using a mac . . . pc users are having the same problem.

This is a faulty bb email update app . . .  

Usually when bb updates its software, it does a full software update (bbm, emails, software, etc).  However for some reason they did an email update separate from the regular software update and those 2 updates are cancelling each other out . . . causing the phone to go into ERROR 606 mode

New Contributor

Nah... I understand the issue.

Rather with a Mac, I cant attempt to download & install the software to "rectify" the issue myself.

oh well....

the least I can say is that I had a chance to sleep with each of the 2 berries before they died.

Wonder if they'll give me a third one

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

I've said this in other threads and I'll say it again here......DON'T EVEN BOTHER GOING INTO THE ONBOARD E-MAIL SETUP WIZARD UNTIL RIM GETS IT FIXED!!  Smiley Happy

There are other methods you can use to modify or add e-mail accounts, the first of which is the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) website provided to you by most carriers.  @MrBig, since your carrier is listed as Starhub, you would go here.

The other method, which may or may not work for you is to go to mobile.blackberry.com from your device's browser. Select your country, then go to Communicate>Email. Scroll down to Other Personal Email and click on Integrate Now, then Launch Email Setup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor

Ok.... went to the telco ... got my 3rd Berry in 3 days.

First 2 were straight out the box... this time.... just a phone swap.

Updated everything...den tried to sync with my Mac.

BB desktop for Mac....

Surprise Surprise, BB desktop required an update.

I had updated the software to the latest version when I got the first 2 phones, but this time....

No choice, gotta update BB Desktop again or it wont work with phone.... (has anyone else had a prompt to update?)

Anyway.... seems all fine and dandy so far

Smiley Happy

Forums Advisor III

For the BB desktop manager I have seen a fair number of updates over the last number of months. I found the last one fixed some of the problems with backing the Playbook. I was reading they fixed a few other things.

I realize the MAC would most likely be different. I am on Windows.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
New Contributor
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Now I have my new phone as well (luckily still under warranty), but because of this faulty update, I was without a phone, or access to my calendar and email for over a week.  Everything on my phone works now, except my email because it requires an update to function. Does anyone know how we can tell if the update will crash the phone again? It seems blackberry thinks that ignoring the problem will solve it - I don't see any official conversations, or solutions, regarding this issue on their website. Nor can I figure out how to contact them to ask them personally. - it's hard to do business in this day and age without access to email Smiley Mad