Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: Telus

Torch locks up, buttons don't work, deletes past calendar entries

This is the second torch I've gotten with button problems. I've been a customer of blackberry and Telus for the past ten years. Blackberry, or Telus doesn't seem to give a care about the substandard quality of their product or their customers.

I had a Storm and traded it in due to the buttons simply not working. Bought a Torch and six months later the buttons failed. Sent it in for warrantee and Telus blamed me for a problem I didn't even have to avoid the warantee until I complained so much they reoplaced it a few months back. Now this piece of **bleep** is giving me the same heartache.

Called for support and they said to send it in for warrantee work. I'm a realtor and can't anmswer my phone half the time. I can't use the back button or the menu buttons. I get charged every time I send the phone back for an evaluation even though it's not my problem and its under warrantee. 

They refuse to replace, change or upgrade without it costing.

Both Blackberry and Telus are about to lose my loyalty.

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Torch locks up, buttons don't work, deletes past calendar entries

Well, I sympathize with you to the point that Telus handles the warranty work and Telus decides how or IF they charge you for an evaluation (which I think is silly, no stupid, but that is THEIR policy, not RIM/BlackBerry.

Carriers like this give BlackBerry a black eye, so to speak. RIM has no such policy.

I'd need more information on your calendar to comment or help you with that one issue.

Your button problem is very very likely related to moisture issues. It sounds like what I have seen multiple times on a device with moisture damage.
Even sitting on a bathroom counter during a hot steamy shower or bath, in a sweaty pocket during a run or gym locker, can cause keyboard and button  problems UNTIL properly dried out. It really is more common than you think.
1. Remove the battery immediately!! Do not attempt to turn on your BlackBerry.
2. Let the device dry in a warm, dry place for 3 to 5 days* (see below)
3. DO NOT "check it each day" by placing the battery in. Leave it be to dry completely. This takes time. Replacing the battery to check it can only damage it more (moisture + electrical current = disaster).
4. If the device is warm after the drying period, allow it to cool to room temperature before placing the battery back in.

Suggestions on drying your BlackBerry in a warm place (open, with the battery out):
*Place the BB in a container of dry UNcooked rice, and then you might also place it in any of the locations mentioned below.
*On top of any dry heat emitting electronic component: TV cabinet or CRT, LCD, cable TV/Satellite converter box or plasma monitor
*On the dashboard of your car on a sunny day

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you for the rapid reply. 

The biggest problem is the buttons not working

I have not gotten the phone wet or left it where moisture could affect it. I wear it in a belt caddy. I don't have the luxury to leave my phone off for 3 to 5 days which in my humble opinion is not a realistic solution.

If Blackberry phones are so sensitive to moisture, it's something the company should be solving not suggesting theeir product needs to be shut off for five days.

I'm sorry if I sound bitter, but I am. I have wasted four hours on the phone with Telus with no satisfaction. Blackberry it seems has put all the weight of service on their product back on the provider. 

I'm stuck with a three year contract and a device that doesn't work. How can Blackberry say the service priovider is giving them a blackeye when its their product that is malfunctioning? This is three phones I've had button problems with and I'm expected to go through the same wasteful time consuming hoops again and again. 

I need a phone that works.

Tell me, who I can contact about my problem at Blackberry. There has to be someone in the organization that cares.

Again thank you for the timely reply.

Well, they care enough to place this user to user forum here for you, with users who have years of experience in using and fixing the devices. Real world use, not some 17-year old snotty-nosed undertrained yahoo on the phone with you from Telus who can barely read a manual, let alone not used a BlackBerry before.

I really thing it's the moisture problem if you don't want to try my suggestions, your problem will likely only get worse.

You can demand the Telus ESCALATE your issue to RIM's tier two level BlackBerry support. They do have some qualified techs that might have another suggestion.

I'd say do that.

And if you can find a few days, even two or three, to set yours aside as described, please do. There's really no other diagnosis for that issue. It's not software.

And by the way, please show me any smartphone device that's not sensitive to moisture. The two just do not mix.

I'm trying to be helpful (and quite honestly, probably the only person you've communicated with on the issue that's actually offered you valid advice for the fix).

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I'm a realtor. I can't go without a phone for a day let alone three.I will try RIM's tier two level BlackBerry support.

I apreciate your help and suggestions, however you'll be hard to convince me the problem is moisture related. My wife has a curve and no problem under the same living conditions. I haver two playbooks and no problem. I have the same recurring problem with the manual buttons Phone, menu, back and close buttons on the Torch. I don't want to deal with aggrevation and or time loss and then repeat it again in a couple of months.

Sometimes they work and other times they don't. I've had this problem on three blackberry's and none of them have been exposed to water other than humidity in the air. If the humidity in my house or on the street can funk it up like this then I believe it is the companies duty to fix it. It is not something new or rare and a direct reflection on the blackberry name. 

I am an unsatisfied client that has to go to message boards for answers. I'm not impressed.

Thanks for the help.

Poppyj wrote:

I am an unsatisfied client that has to go to message boards for answers. I'm not impressed.

Sorry, giving you the best experienced advice I can.

I know for a fact that you're occupation is no different than my own in that I can't survive without my BlackBerry for a day. I own my own business also, and it's pretty darn hard to be out of communication for a few days. Impossible in fact, and keep up with the demands. But there are times, one must. As Telus for a loaner phone. Put some of this ON the people from which you purchased the device. I've heard too many horror stories from my many Canadian friends about Telus' lack of customer support and silly demands.

I'll stick with my moisture problem diagnosis. Once your device finally succumbs (i.e., dies or bricks) from it, you might see some wisdom in taking a few days from the device. I know it's hard, but... your choice. If I'm right, it's a easy fix.

Knowledge Base Updates