Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Torch makes WiFi connections, but will not utilize them.

Good evening,

I have a BlackBerry Torch, and am unable to get it to utilize a WiFi connection.  I have tried it on for different wireless networks with the same results.  In each case, the WiFi network appears connected at full signal strength, but if I turn off the mobile network and data, the device will not for instance browse the internet via the WiFi.

I first discovered the issue after my data plan pegged when the phone decided to secretly send out 400mb to blackberry.net.  Subsequent viewing of my useage log indicates that the phone has never succesfully utilized a WiFi connection.  The phone is nearly always logged onto a WiFi network.

Thank you!

Best,

Nathan

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Torch makes WiFi connections, but will not utilize them.

The WIFI is nearly to help the mobile network for the speed of the pages loading faster. For instance, when you dont have service but connected with WIFI the phone will utilize the WIFI instead of relying on the mobile network. So when you have them both on at the same time the phone will automatically pic the connection of the mobile network over the WIFI because it is faster. Hopefully this helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this answers your question, please mark it as a soultion. Also, please click on the start to give the post Kudos.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

It seems you and I have come here for the same problem. Wi-fi connected but can't use it. I find it difficult to believe the wi-fi is to supplement the carrier network.

New Contributor
My Carrier: ATT

If that is indeed how the BlackBerry is designed to work, it is wholly incompatible with the way ATT markets and packages the phone and their data plans.  I'm not saying that WiFi as a 3G booster is good bad or indifferent, only that the level of integration between BB/ATT is a mess with this particular phone.

I guess that would explain why there is no "WiFi preferred" option to be found in the options.

- Nathan

New Contributor
My Carrier: BELL

Yes Blackberry seriously has to develop a fix for this problem.  I am faced with the same issue due to the proxy server on my end.  Very frustrating.

New Contributor

cbuzzard82 wrote:

The WIFI is nearly to help the mobile network for the speed of the pages loading faster. For instance, when you dont have service but connected with WIFI the phone will utilize the WIFI instead of relying on the mobile network. So when you have them both on at the same time the phone will automatically pic the connection of the mobile network over the WIFI because it is faster. Hopefully this helps.

This is the first time I've heard this.  Where did you get this information?  What a ridiculous default internet setting.  I hope this isn't true, because Blackberry will be losing MILLIONS in sales to AT&T customers!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Simplified browser selection in BlackBerry Device Software 6.0

it will utilize WiFi before carrier if you have the BB logo next to wifi symbol on main screen.

If you turn off carrier signal only, Wifi can be used for BIS/BES serives if the logo is present.

If you turn off Data Services or While Roaming on older OS versions (OS 448 not affected), you will lose the wifi connection to RIM and the BB logo will be gone.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm still having the same problem as the OPer.  Even though all status icons, etc. say I'm connected to Wifi, my Torch isn't using Wifi, still using my AT&T data plan constantly.  I have yet to be able to use Wifi and avoid using my AT&T data plan.  Starting today I will switch to 2g (3g off) and see if this fixes the problem.  

This kind of stuff drives me crazy!!!