Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Rim 9800 Torch
My Carrier: ATT

Torch screen lock button

The screen lock button is VERY sensitive.  I unlocks in my pocket and pocket dials or even turns off all connections.  This is a real problem.  Is there a fix for it?

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Torch screen lock button

I have the same problem. The single-press button design completely defeats the purpose. My old Curve required the pressing of two buttons (* and call) in order to unlock it. This made it unlikely to unlock accidently. I've had the Torch for a few weeks now and it's already pocket-dialed several people. Never had this problem with my Curve. Why the hell would RIM change a design that worked to one that doesn't? The only solution I can think of is to enable the password device lock which I'd rather not have to deal with. I like the Torch overall but this is a real design flaw.

New Contributor
My Device: Rim 9800 Torch
My Carrier: ATT

This HAS to be a common Issue.  Apparently there is no solution yet, it seems to be ignored.  Lots of views, no replies.  I find myself carrying the phone around gingerly in my hand.  I am just not a holster type guy.  May have to learn to beSmiley Sad

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Same here. I find i have to put it right-side-up in my pocket or the weight of it against the bottom of my pocket will hit the button. That still doesn't solve the problem of it deactivating the screen-lock when the slider movea in the slightest. Very frustrating. Don't think there are going to be software updates for this kind of thing. Maybe someone out there has some ideas.
New Contributor

Sort of a solution that i found in like 30 mins of having the phone and it unlocking itself lol.

Turn password ON and then set the convenience key to password lock, this way to call you have to unlock the phone with the PASSWORD not a crappy little button that tbh is a waste of space. Personally I'm waiting for a slide lock app similar to the iphone screen lock to come out for free, but until then the password lock will do. Smiley Happy

Visitor
My Device: torch 9800

Yes this is a very frustrating problem. I took the phone out for the first time last night and kept finding after locking it and putting it in my pocket it would self unlock. Surely with enough complaints they need to fix this problem. There doesnt even appear to settings for the lock button ie. duration of time button needs to be pressed to unlock. Do you think they could do a software update where the user needs to press it for two or so seconds to unlock?

My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Vodafone

Same here. What is happening, doesnt anyone test these things!!. It also unlocks when you plug in the power cord... how long do we have to wait for an update

My Device: BlackBerry® Torch™ 9800
My Carrier: Orange

Re: You can lock the screen to avoid pressing it accidentally.

You can lock the screen to avoid pressing it accidentally.
Press the Lock key on the top left of your BlackBerry® device.
After you finish: To unlock the screen, press the Lock key again.
Please note that the Lock Key/Button is not on the screen of your phone.
It is on the top left edge of your phone on the black plastic bar.
ALL Blackberry Torch's have this feature so there is no need for any other lock.
I go jogging for 45 minutes with this in my pocket and as long as you use this lock button then it never comes on Smiley Wink
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

can look in app world for pattern lock, there is a free version you can try too

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Yeah, we know about that. It sucks. it takes a nudge on it or slide it a tiny bit it unlocks.