Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Torch screen turns black during phone calls

Whenever I call someone, my Blackberry Torch's screen turns black and it doesn't let me do anything while I'm on the phone. For example, I can't even get it to change to speaker phone or text someone while calling because the screen just turns off. I tried pressing every button during a phone call to retrieve a normal screen, but it doesn't work. Can someone help me fix this?

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Torch screen turns black during phone calls

While on a phone call when you put the device up to your ear the screen will turn off. This is to prevent your cheek from touching and muting or hanging up, etc. When you pull it away from your ear it should light up again. I find mine takes just a moment to light up after pulling away from my ear.

It uses the light sensor to detect that it is close to your ear so if there is a problem with that sensor it could affect that function.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

The screen doesn't turn back on when I pull it away from my cheeks, which is the problem. When i press the "call" button to call someone, the screen automatically turns off even before I bring it up to my ears. And while I'm calling someone, I can't change it to speaker phone or text someone since the screen doesn't turn back on. Do  you have any solutions to this?

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

[ Edited ]

We need to test the light sensor. It is near the notification LED.

Go to Options and type "status" in the search bar.

Click on Device and Status Information.

On that screen type the letters T E S T (you won't see any letters typed but when you're done it will enter the device self-test application.) Click OK when prompted.

Hit the menu key and select "Start." When asked if you'd like to be guided through the process select "No."

Check the box next to "Miscellaneous Components" only (you can do other tests later if you want to...it's kinda fun playing with it.)

Click the menu key and select "Run."

The first test will be for the Light Sensor. Experiment with different light levels i.e. put your finger over the LED area and see if the number changes. it has a slight delay but you should see it change from around 19000 outside to 0 at the very darkest. With my finger over mine I get about 15. Outside I get nearly 19000.

Run through that test and report back what you find.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Thank you so much for the help. I ran the test and it turns out that 0 is the darkest (when I put my finger over the LED sensor) and the highest it got to was about 400. My range seems pretty small compared to yours.. is that a bad thing?

Guru II

If 400 is the highest it got outside in the sun then there is a most likely a problem with the sensor. Is it a 9800 or a 9810? If it's a 9810 is the device still under warranty?

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

thanks for the step by step. But it didn't help me. Do you have another way of solving the same problem? i don't think its the LED light. 

Thanks!

Highlighted
Guru II

Does your device pas the diagnostic using the steps above? If so, then please describe exactly the problem you're having.