Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: 3

Torch water damage

My daughter has used her  weekend earnings to get the Torch on a 2 year contract with 3. Within less than 2 weeks the touch screen started to play up not going to the right app and then became progressively less responsive. We sent it back to 3 and they said that they had found water damage and that the phone is irreparable. My daughter swears blind that she has looked after it and that it has not been near any water. The keypad was still functioning normally, They said that she must have used it in the rain but anyway as it was water damage it was not covered under warranty. I usually let the warranty run out and then buy insurance after it has run out. This phone was 4 weeks old. 3 say it is nothing to do with them and that the most they will do is offer her a refurbished phone at a reduced cost and with an extra 6 months onto the contract. When they sent the phone off from the shop and took the back off and the battery and cards out the assistant said nothing about any stickers being the wrong colour.

If any has any Ideas as where we should go from here I would be really grateful. 

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Torch water damage

I have a torch too and I will say that is just acts up randomly for no reason sometimes.  But when I had a ipod touch (not the same product but still) the touch screen stopped working, I searched on google checking to see if it was water damage and a link came up saying the things that cause water damage.   One of them was humidity.  Maybe if she took a shower and had the torch in the bathroom counter or something that may have caused it?  And also the Torch HAS a one year warrenty with Blackberry.  Tell them to ship it out to blackberry and they will take a deposit from you for a loner phone (which will be given back later).   They will see if it actually is water damage and if not they will fix it for you, free of charge.

Goodluck Smiley Very Happy

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Unfortunately when the carrier/manufacturer deems the device water damage, there's not much that can be done.

If your daughter purchased the unit with a credit card, sometimes the credit card company may have some extra warranty coverage (minute possibility).

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

many times Home owners insurance will cover it if damaged in the house

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Torch BB 9800
My Carrier: MTN

[ Edited ]

Hi  - my daughter also saved like mad and did amazing jobs in order to buy the BB Torch.  She eventully managed in May this year.  The trackpad and lock key suddenly stopped working - 5 months old!   We took it back to our SP and they also said : water damage!  There is no way that she had it anywhere near water as she has been guarding it like mad.  I think that either the easy answer, which is not covered by the warranty, is water damage.  The SP tells me it could be airconditioning Smiley Happy sweat Smiley Happy or even body heat Smiley Happy!!!.  I am so disappointed to think that this phone seems to be a dud and the support not forthcoming. Please tell me if you had any joy trying to send the phone back to BlackBerry?

My Device: c4556
My Carrier: 56554

That was so sad of you. Sorry for that. I was not having clear idea about that . My suggestion is you better go for google search where you can find better solution.

water damage removal

My Device: blackberry torch 9810
My Carrier: rogers

I have the same problem with my torch 9810 recently bought in July 2011. Now it has water damage and I want to know what can Blackberry do about it or do I have to buy a brand new cell ? As I was told by my service provider because I didn't want there old refurbished phone...So where do I go from now?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

if you got it wet, warranty is over.

put it in a bag of rice for 3 days with battery removed in a nice warm spot

then see if it works after

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

Ok, it is true that humidity can damage the phone so if she showered with the phone in the room it is possible to receive damage. Also if there was a screen protector placed as some people spray liquids on the phone to clean the screen. If you do not trust the vendor, try gathering opinions from other, more trustworthy, vendors.
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Teuls

I believe your daughter. My BB Torch quit working (similar to another user, the tracking piece also stopped working some time ago but I didn't bother to take in earlier due to lack of time). I was informed that I had water damage and therefore the repair would not be covered by warranty.  I think this must be BB's new cash saving strategy - just say it has water damange.   If how I use my phone causes water damage - then I have no idea to prevent it!  I had a friend that dropped their blackberry curve in the lake and dried out the battery and phone immediately and it was totally workable again. So I can't understand how my Torch, which never came in contact with water and I don't have in the bathroom while I shower, nor leave overnight in a cold car, etc. could have irrepairable water damage.  I have been a BB supporter from the beginning - not anymore.  I truly think they have a faulty product