Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Torch will NOT charge with Wall or Car Chargers, only USB - what is the fix?

oh I want to know the solution too!
Once she gets the device or before if you prefer, let's do try the latest official release from another carrier. So please do let's get her current release.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Torch will NOT charge with Wall or Car Chargers, only USB - what is the fix?

You are indicating you wrote this post from a Storm 2. The Storm is an interesting phone. I had a Storm 1. It died many times. In 3 years I went through 4 of them. I was going to keep it as a spare phone, and now it died again! I liked that phone very much.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800 and Pearl 9100
My Carrier: AT&T

Sorry I never got the exact release, but she did tell me that when she was at AT&T they DID do a wipe and re-install of the OS.

So, Jerry, your suggestion was good, but it didn't work since one of the techs suggested it as well and they did it but it didn't make a difference!

They even want to keep the phone to find out what's wrong with it!

I'll keep you guys posted.

My Device: 9800 torch
My Carrier: Oman

Hello all,

I have the same problem with my phone. I have tried more than a hundred chragers in more than 10 shops wall and car chargers wont work except through USB from computer. I have tried original brand you charger it does't work. Updating software, etc. As I said it only charges power through USB from computer. I guess it's somthing to deal with output power. ?????????????????? Please help.

Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I don't know of any fix for that.

Perhaps an OS upgrade could resolved it.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

I have some more thoughts that are questions...

Did you ever try to use a Playbook charger, or a universal type charger connected to the Torch? 

This type of practice can cause damage to the phone's charging circuits, and or the battery itself.

I know that chargers with a rating of more than 900 ma or so, can overheat and damage the charging circuit in the phone. Lithium batteries are current dependent for charging. The current control circuits inside of the devices are designed for working within specific range parameters.

How old is the battery in the phone?

How many charge cycles has the battery been through?

Lithium batteries, as like NiCad batteries will last an average of about 3 years. I have seen them fail after 2 years and sometimes last about 4 years before they degrade or fail.

As for charge cycles, this is sort of complicated. Full charge cycles are more stressful than keeping the battery topped up. The number of charge cycles over the life of a battery can be complicated to determine. Most Lithium batteries as like used in small mobile devices, photo cameras, and other small devices should be able to go through about 350 to 450 deep cycles of charging.

At this point, I would try a new battery in the phone. If it still cannot properly charge with a known proven working charger that is for your phone, then the only alternative left is to send the phone for service. At this point you must weigh out the replacement cost of the phone vs the cost of servicing it.

This is a link from Newark Electronics; to a paper about standard Lithium battery maintenance.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&ved=0CH8QFjAJ&url=http%...

Jerry G.

Jerry G.