Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Total 8900 Newbie - Easy answers for you guys! Thanks for the help.

Hi people

Ive just switched from a nokia  to a blackberry (so you understand my viewpoint as a beginner)!

I was wondering a couple of things:

1) What is a blackberry pin?

2) On the homescreen, you have a few buttons across the bottom like 'quick menu items' sorta thing - i have 2 email boxes, one just an envelope and one with an internet symbol on it, then a contact box, a calendar box, an internet box and a media box. id like to change what boxes appear on the home screen (remove one of the email boxes and add in a quick link to sms)

3) Security - how do i set a password for unlocking the keyboard? There must be this or a similar feature as your inbox can so easily be accessed..

Any help would be very much appreciated - this thing is a bit scary..

Thanks

Emma

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Total 8900 Newbie - Easy answers for you guys! Thanks for the help.

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

emmaburge wrote:

1) What is a blackberry pin?

The PIN is a unique identifyier of your BB to the network.

emmaburge wrote:

2) On the homescreen, you have a few buttons across the bottom like 'quick menu items' sorta thing - i have 2 email boxes, one just an envelope and one with an internet symbol on it, then a contact box, a calendar box, an internet box and a media box. id like to change what boxes appear on the home screen (remove one of the email boxes and add in a quick link to sms)

Some icons you can delete. Others not. All icons can be hidden or moved to sub-folders...and you can create sub-folders. The BBKey is your friend on your homescreen. Your user manual has sections about this.

emmaburge wrote:

3) Security - how do i set a password for unlocking the keyboard? There must be this or a similar feature as your inbox can so easily be accessed..

Indeed, BB's have high security, but as you have found only if enabled. See this KB:

KB00588 Password security for the BlackBerry smartphone

Hope that helps!

Message Edited by sdgardne on 09-01-2009 05:05 PM

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Wow thankyou for such a quick response.

Ill check my user manual for things to do with a BBKey..

Can I ask:

The PIN is a unique identifyier of your BB to the network. - So what can I do with a blackberry pin, as in what does it enable you to do? I hear loads of people announcing theirs on things like facebook.. is it set up for you? (I have tried to speak to a blackberry adviser on the phone..i never got through to anyone..sorry for so many questions )

Thanks for the link to the KB. I strted to follow the instructions but stopped here:

1. From the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, click Options.
  2. Click Security Options.
  3. Click General Settings.

Note: If you are running BlackBerry® Device Software 4.0.2 or earlier, click Options, and then Security.

4. Change the Password field to Enabled.

I dont have a password field.. I got content compression, content protection, strength, inlcude contacts, and services ..

Thanks for continued help with this

New Contributor

oops! sorry, forget what i said last r.e. password - found it Smiley Happy

Thanks

New Contributor

..but I am searching 'BBKey' on the help and support pages and find nothing.. what is this?

Emma 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

emmaburge wrote:

The PIN is a unique identifyier of your BB to the network. - So what can I do with a blackberry pin, as in what does it enable you to do? I hear loads of people announcing theirs on things like facebook.. is it set up for you?

BB's come with an app called BBMessenger...an IM-type of app that sends/receives PIN to PIN (and, ergo, BB to BB). Hence, folks announcing their PINs (IMHO not a good practice in any public forum!) to encourage others to send them PIN messages via BBM.

emmaburge wrote:

Thanks for the link to the KB. I strted to follow the instructions but stopped here:

1. From the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, click Options.
  2. Click Security Options.
  3. Click General Settings.

Note: If you are running BlackBerry® Device Software 4.0.2 or earlier, click Options, and then Security.

4. Change the Password field to Enabled.

I dont have a password field.. I got content compression, content protection, strength, inlcude contacts, and services ..

Try Options > Password...they keep moving that thing around, and the KB's can't even keep up it seems!

emmaburge wrote:

Can I ask:

(I have tried to speak to a blackberry adviser on the phone..i never got through to anyone..sorry for so many questions )

Please feel free to ask anything you like. We volunteers are here to help! No apologies necessary.

Cheers!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Hall of Famer III

[ Edited ]

emmaburge wrote:

..but I am searching 'BBKey' on the help and support pages and find nothing.. what is this?

Emma 

Some call it the Menu Key. Others call it words I won't repeat!! I frankly can't recall what the manual calls it. It is the key with the 7 dots on it.

Message Edited by sdgardne on 09-01-2009 05:22 PM

New Contributor

Ahh I see, got it Smiley Happy

So what area of the menu would i look under to change the icons/'quick links' displayed on the homescreen?

Managed to sort the password out -  thanks for the help and knowledge about the pin!

Emma

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: UK Voda

Hi, I recently changed from a SonyErricson to a BB and I found it as confusing as you. It gets easier!

1> You can send a PIN message to anyone else who has a BB. This is a free service and it doesn't come out of any free text bundle in your tariff. When you save a contact in your phone add their PIN in the relevant space and you will always be given the choice to send SMS, MMS, Email or PIN

You can also use the PIN in BB messenger, its a bit like MSN and Skype and its free too! The messenger icon looks like a speech bubble with the 7 dots in it. If you open the messenger and scroll over the contacts word then press the BB key (7 dots) then choose add contact you can add their PIN or name if you already have the PIN stored in the contacts.

2> The envelope on its own holds ALL emails (from all your registered email accounts), PIN messages, BB messenger conversations and facebook notifications. (Its a mess and I just hide it) The envelope with the globe on it is the email address you set up, if you added more than one email address you will get more than one envelope.

You can change what icons are on the home screen pretty easily. Just decide which six quick links that you want up there and then press you BB button scroll over to the icon you want up on the home screen and press the BB button again and click 'move' then roll it up to the top line. (the top line is the line you will see on the home screen) When its on the top line click the roller ball and that's it, just repeat that for the other 5 icons. To give myself more quick access I changed the functions of the two side keys (convenience keys) I don't use the default set 'voice command' so I changed it to SMS box (no need to even use the home screen icons) and I changed the 'camera' key to 'manage connections' (I use Bluetooth in the car so turn it on and off frequently to save battery) To change the side keys go to options then screen/keyboard and scroll down to the convenience key part. Click the roller ball and you will be given a choice as to what you would like the key to do, repeat this for the left key too. That way you have 8 custom set icons Smiley Happy  While your in that part of the menu change the 'backlight brightness' from 100 down to 10, you don't see much difference but it helps with the battery.

3> The password issue, when you get to the point you where stuck at, content protection says 'disabled' press the roller ball and change it to 'enabled' then you will be given the option to set the password.

Hope this helps you, let me know how you get on Smiley Happy