Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

Totally disappointed in Storm

This phone constantly  locks up, the little watch symbol comes on almost half the time I press the screen to light it up. I am constantly getting an "Uncaught exception error". I have to shut it off and pull the battery every other day or it locks up. The sports tracker GPS works some of the time, other times the it says I am going way faster and farther than I actually have. To fix this I shut it off...Pull the battery...............

....................................................................................................................................................................................

.....................................................................five minutes later it is rebooted. Please send some help information, I must have something incorrect or RIM would have been out of business long ago.

Can't seem to get the desktop software to delete programs, I select the X to delete but the Apply button never turns colors as if it is an option.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Re: Totally disappointed in Storm

johneschutt wrote:

I have to shut it off and pull the battery every other day or it locks up.

Don't do that! The proper and recommended way to reboot a Blackbherry to solve 99% of all glitches or software problems is a normal reboot: With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot. Don't turn it off first, that does nothing.

johneschutt wrote:

The sports tracker GPS works some of the time, other times the it says I am going way faster and farther than I actually have.

Contact the application developer on that issue...

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 2
My Carrier: Vodacom South Africa

Afraid that I have to agree that the Storm 2 is a total dissapointment. Some of the problems I have had are as follows:-

1 Pressing the cancel button on a call does not disconnect - it brings up a hold call prompt. Often.

2 Pressing call and then selecting a number on the dialpad aborts the call. Sometimes.

3 Selecting 'connections - mobile network' to disconnect does not disconnect. Often.

4 pressing the touch screen results in a bounce (ie. surepress not working). Often

5 Selecting call - contacts - does not show keyboard when putting cursor in the contact entry field - the popup menu only shows 'hide keyboard'. Sometimes.

6 Pressing the dial button does nothing after a call - in fact pressing any button or anywhere on the screen gives feedback that a button is pressed but nothing happens - waiting a minute or so then it starts responding again. Sometimes.

8 Answering a call - keypad or touchscreen simply does not respond so call cannot be answered. Sometimes.

7 Receiving a call - Incorrect caller name displays followed by correct caller name. Sometimes.

I have reported the above to BB using the feedback tool some time back, and would have expected a SW upgrade but nothing yet. I find it difficult to believe that BB has allowed this product onto the market. Perhaps BB should take a page out of Toyotas book and recall all Storm 2 models.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

tk, I've experienced none of that.

tk-1 wrote:

would have expected a SW upgrade but nothing yet.

All that is too bad, but without knowing your current OS release, can't provide you much assistance.

What is your Operating System loaded to your device?
Look at Options > About, third line down beginning with a "v.4.x.xxx"
What is yours?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9520
My Carrier: o2

I have to agree that I have also been totally dissatisfied with my Storm 2 - all the same problems as listed above.  My service provider refuses to replace it with a "regular" BlackBerry as they say there's no fault!!!

It became totally unusable whilst I was away for the last couple of days, resulting in me having to buy an offline 'phone to maintain contact with my customers and family.

Not good enough for a business tool.

My SW version is v.5.0.0.497 (Platform 4.2.0.220)

If there is no resolution, I will have to look at alternatives....

Tim

New Contributor

Software version is v5.0.0.607 (Bundle 1020, Platform 4.2.0.275)

... and the problems persist - ended up not being able to answer calls or terminate calls several times over the past week

--

Regards

TK-1

Contributor

TK :

I would back up the phone and reload the OS. I have a storm 2 and have not experienced any of the issues you are, at worst If I fat finger a key it will do something I didn't want it to do. That sounds like a bad install of the OS. 

New Contributor

The phone has had the O/S upgraded twice now - I'm afraid the problems persist.

The phone would be fine if it did not have the problems as I reported earlier on, however, not being able to answer a call, terminate a call, and have calls go to voicemail during the times when it stops responding makes it disfunctional.

I have also been onto my service provider who indicate that they have had multiple complaints on this particular model... seems like the time has come to get rid of it.

New Contributor

Just connected my BB storm2 to my BB Device manager and got a notification that an upgrade is available. Hit the button and upgraded my OS to the following version:

V5.0.0.713 (Bundle 1206, Platform 4.2.0.323)

Will report back in a couple of days to see if this solves my problems.

--

Regards (keeping fingers crossed)

TK

New Contributor

Back sooner than I thought

The upgrade has made little difference

Switching off mobile connection worked twice, and on the third time it indicates the checkbox as off but the connection status remains on. Need to do it again to turn it off.

Dialed a call and during the call received another call that went to voice mail. Then selected the dial button and entered the dial code for my voice mail and then hit dial to make the call - nothing!!! The dial button has stopped making calls although it does bring up call screen allowing me to enter either a contact, previously dialled numbers or enter digits...

Further to the issues reported earlier the lock button is also intermittent - ie. could lock the phone this morning but not anymore - holding it down for awhile does still power it down.... yeesh

I have totally lost confidence in the storm2 and quiet frankly RIM ...