Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Touch Keyboard Caps/Number Lock Issue

I have grown somewhat frusterated with the keyboard. i dont really like using the physical keyboard because the buttons are so tiny, but just recently if i press and hold the shift key(s) neither one works to lock/unlock caps/numbers lock. any help on this at all? Of course I'm using the physical keyboard now to capitalize or type a phone number, but we paid good money for our phones so i expect everything to work!

-Thanks guys!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Re: Touch Keyboard Caps/Number Lock Issue

Welcome to the forums!

Hold ALT and press left SHIFT for NUM lock.

Hold ALT and press right SHIFT for CAPS lock.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

I'm Sorry, Maybe I Worded it wrong. My Issue isnt with the slide out keyboard, its the touchscreen keyboard. as of last week I was still able to press and hold the numbers button or the caps button and the little padlock would appear so i could write in all caps or type a series of numbers. now when i press and hold either one the padlock no longer shows up and i have to keep pressing the numbers/caps button every time i type a number or a capital letter. Smiley Sad

Forums Veteran I

I just tried and it works for me.  Have you tried a battery pull?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

I've been having the same problem with my Torch9800.  It started doing it in late Spring/early Summer, right around end of June.  Battery pulls do not remedy this.  This is very annoying.  Need other suggestions, please.

Adjusting from Palm to BB--a different world!
Forums Veteran I

Don't have my device in front of me (and I always get these backwards) but press ALT and left shift for numlock, ALT and right shift for capslock.
New Contributor

Hi! I am having the same issue with caps lock--I posted below, but I wanted to make sure you saw this sooner, rather than later. Battery pulls have not helped this problem for me. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
New Contributor

Boomer56, your suggestion isn't making sense because the touch keyboard (NOT slider keyboard) has no ALT key. Additionally, it doesn't seem to happen in each application, meaning, it won't unlock in the MEMO PAD, but it will unlock in TEXT/SMS messaging and in the CALENDAR. It unlocks after 3 characters and looks like this 'MEEting'. I am FORCED to keep pushing the SHIFT 'key' to get a CAPITAL letter if I want another one.

Thanks!

I have had the same problem at times. A battery pull works best.
New Contributor
My Carrier: AT & T

I was having same problem (i'm stuck with the touchscreen keypad because my physical keypad has totally gone out (long story)) . . . but battery removal fixed it.