Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Storm2 9550
My Carrier: Unlocked

Touch screen digitizer inBlackBerry Storm2 9550

Hello!

I have a used BlackBerry Storm2 9550. There is a small issue with the touch screen digitizer, and replacing the digitizer will fix the problem. But the technician said thet, he can't replace the digitizer without replacing the whole LCD screen, as the both LCD screen and digitizer comes as a one unit. But on eBay I saw that some sellers sells the digitizer without the LCD screen.

Is it true? My LCD screen works properly. Can't I replace the touch screen digitizer, without replacing my LCD screen. Please help me.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: vzw

Re: Touch screen digitizer inBlackBerry Storm2 9550

The technician is right, Sure you can buy just the digitizer by itself.  The problem will be removing the old one from the LCD and reinstalling the new digitizer properly and without destroying your LCD.  It's a lot harder then you would think and I've never heard of anyone doing it successfuly. I honestly don't know why they even sell the digitizer seperately.

One major problem is removing the ribbon cable for the old digitizer.  The way it is ran makes it very hard to get to.  It is in between the LCD and this metal bracket that the LCD is mounted to.  so you have to wiggle out a ribbon cable then put in the new ribbon cable all without bending the LCD. Everyone I know of that has attempted to do that has gotten these tiny, spider web like cracks over the entire LCD.  You can't even see them until you turn the phone. The LCD itself is very fragile,  The digitizer gives it a lot of protection. 

Sure your LCD works now,  and it don't need replaced.  But by the time someone tries to replace the digitizer I can bet you the LCD will need replaced.