Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9530 VZW (.148)

Touch-screen freezing, unresponsive in humid weather

It's been very hot and humid here in the northeast for the past few weeks, I have noticed that my touch-screen freezes, or stops responding to touch.  Sometimes, it only responds on one side.  This happens almost always when my hands are sweaty.  I actually got lost in the woods, because i could not get to the applications folder to run the gps app.  I finally found that a re-boot seemed to fix the problem, I also found that sometimes putting it in the refrigerator will solve the problem, for a while without rebooting.   Anyone else having this problem, or can you suggest a permanent solution?

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Touch-screen freezing, unresponsive in humid weather

I've noticed that also (Alabama here, you think it's humid in the NE? lol).

High humidity does seem to affect the touchscreen ability to "feel" your touch.

Same with HIGH heat and high temps, the device will not charge as well or as fast.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: 9530 VZW (.148)

When you say the screen has difficulty feeling your touch, do you mean that you can sometimes get it to work?  I have had the rare occasion of a recovery, but not too often.  I have tried letting other people try the screen when I've been having the issue, and they can't do any better than me.

I tried pens pencils, sticks, and none of those can actuate the touch screen.  However, sitting here at my desk, I just discovered that you can use the metal cover off of the back of the phone will work to actuate the touchscreen, as will the back of a small binder clip - not all metal works though, those are the only two things I could find.  Next time I am sweaty and the screen does not work, I'll try touching it with the battery cover, and find out if it is my finger or the screen that is misbehaving.  I'm sure rim would blame it on my finger.

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

The touchscreen of the Storm is, as I understand it, capacitive. Which in some definition of the word means that it must detect the 'electrical' connection which 'points' under the screen detect from your skin, causing an electrical connection between two or more of those points.

Likewise, for a selection, it requires a press to activate the command.

So, no, a wooden pencil or plastic pen won't make a selection. But hold your Storm flat, and lay a copper penny on on an unselected icon and the highlighting will move to that icon.

And I don't recommend using a pen or pencil or metal cover off the back to actuate the screen.

Perhaps you don't have enough "juice" in your fingers to form the connection needed? I dunno.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Passport and Z10
My Carrier: AT&T, and VZW

Heck I thought I was crazy or imagining it... but I have also noticed the very same thing.  The screen becomes unresponsive and my fingers are dry.  Whew...I am sane! :-)
My Device: Not Specified

I've been having the exact same problem, and it's always been correlated with humidity and heat. I've been in Baton Rouge, Austin and temporarily-humid Phoenix over the last several days and my Storm has been nearly non-functional. In Baton Rouge one day I had to pull the battery over 10 times just to be able to return business calls. Same exact situation described by others--sometimes the screen won't respond at all, sometimes it will only highlight icons in one column regardless of where you touch on the screen. 

It took all the restraint I could muster not to toss it in the Mississippi Smiley Wink

Would be great to get a response here from a RIM tech on what to do about this...

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

100% true the humidity theory, was having problem with mine, took a hair blower, blowed over the device and BAM.. ready to go, usually i have to restart it so the touch could work again..

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9520
My Carrier: Three

Hi y'all,

Same problem with my Storm II 9520.  I'm working in Northern Australia right now where the weather is a bit warmer than usual.

I'm getting problems with my touch screen either triggering strangely with an almost double-click-like sensation, or then not triggering at all.  Grrrrrrr.

It only happens when device has been running for a couple of days.

Soft reset (battery out and in) will fix problem for a while, but then it re-occurs.

Symtoms include:

1. Not being able to hang up or answer calls.

2. Not being able to type text messages and emails.

3. The sensation of a "double click", as if the touch screen is being triggered twice by the one finger movement.

4. Seems to happen when the phone is on the charge or when I've been using it quite a lot... maybe heat related??

I would love an expert opinion.  Seems like there are a lot of others out there facing similar sitations.

Thanks, ANDY

www.andypobjoy.com.au

Highlighted
My Device: Blackberry Storm 2

Just started noticing this myself. Savannah, Ga here. 100% humidity and 98 degree weather. Screen doesn't like it at all. Come inside in the air conditioning, and everything is fine. I'm guessing the touch screen works with heat to tell where you are touching. If that's the case, the phone is reading the whole screen being touched at the same time via the heat and humidity.