Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Touch screen stops working

I've had the Torch for about a month now and it was working fine up until today.

All of a sudden, the touch screen stopped working.  I did a few soft and hard resets, removed the battery, and even restored to factory settings and nothing seemed to help.  Also, and one random time, the touch screen started working again for about a minute. Then suddenly, it stopped working again. I've also fiddled around with the touch screen sensitivity, but still nothing seems to work.

Anyone else experience this with their Torch and how can I fix this problem? Thank  you.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Touch screen stops working

the only thing you have knot tried is a newer version OS that has been leaked.

if that fails, put orig OS back on and return to where you bought it for a new one.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

Same thing happened to me. I have had my Torch for almost two weeks now. I'm a very basic user and haven't even loaded any apps on it yet. The touch screen essentially just stops working correctly. Well the physical touchscreen seems fine...it knows where my finger is but the OS is not correctly acting on that.

For instance the notifications bar at the top...I touch it and it used to come down to summarize my notifications.....instead it just blinks now and does nothing. If I go to my messages feed I can't open emails via the screen nor scroll up and down yet I can with the actual buttons below.

Shutting the phone off/on does not fix this. Taking out the battery did fix this one time... but that does not work now either.

This is an EGREGIOUS mistake in the way this Blackberry was designed, programmed, and/or tested. I don't see how this was not caught in testing...if they did any. I'm a very basic user and am not doing anything special. Unless there is a quick fix I'm going to have to send this back. I don't really give a cr p about all the fancy stuff the other phones do....but I want web browsing on a reliable phone with physical keyboard. I was very happy with this phone otherwise.

Contributor

I guess not many others are having this issue?  It's now intermittent.

You can use the navigation button in place of the screen and that will handle most functionality but that will not work with browser of course when you need to enlarge/shrink the web page.

Anyone have a legitimate fix for this?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Did you try OS 246?

here is how to get it

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9800-series-discussion-torch/237177-latest-os-9800-6-0-0-695...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

[ Edited ]

My problem is intermittent, but requires a reboot to correct:

1. When unholstering the phone, the screen is VERY slow to respond.  When entering password all the keys on the right side of the screen highlight letters on the left side of the screen.  I can access my phone after entering the password with the keyboard. (cannot complete password entry from screen)

2. After getting into the home page, if I hit my message bar in portrait mode, it brings up the profile for the ringer.  Will not unloop from this! 

3. After getting out of this, when the phone is turned into landscape mode, if you press the screen in the middle, the 'manage connection' pops up.  Again, the only way to fix is to reboot.

It seems the phone hangs-up and registers all screen presses to the far left of the screen (in portrait mode) and the top of the screen (in landscape mode)

OS on phone 6.0 Bundle 278 (v6.0.0.141, Platform 6.4.0.64)

UPDATE!:  I thought I had found a fix for the screen issues...let me splain Lucy..

1. I got a Tweet back from BB saying I should reinstall the OS.  I did just that.  The screen straightened out for a while, then all of a sudden the problem switched sides.  Now the issue is with the RIGHT side of the screen (in portrait mode)  So....

2. I did something a bit odd.  I pressed the screen back in it's frame (so to speak)  It seems when you apply hard and even pressure to the top of the screen and run your thumbs down the sides and then along the bottom the screen seems to fix itself.  I thought I had found the magic fix, but NOPE!  The problem returned a short time later, although it did work for a while.  It appears the pressure points seem to be at the top and bottom of the screen. 

I will be picking up Torch #3 today.  I'm tired of being a Windows Beta tester for BlackBerry.  This is getting very old very quickly.

Contributor

hemibat,

that's the same exact behavior that mine is having.  Although rebooting does not always fix this and at some point it will go back to the normal correct behavior on its own but then of course it will revert back to the wrong behavior as well whenever it wants to.  I can't figure out what triggers this.

The GUI generally acts as if a left arrow of some sort is being executed.

I also have: OS on phone 6.0 Bundle 278.

New Contributor

Yessss, finally a post with someone having the same problem! This problem is intermittent, i have no idea what causes it, just flares up like a bad case of herpes. I have done a full wipe (OS included), and reloaded everything, thought everything was fine, was clean for 5-6hrs, BAM, back to not working. I generally notice that the problem most affects the bottom area, but when its really bad, the whole screen does work. Battery pulls rarely fix it, and if it does, its only a matter of time before its back to being screwy again. I'm running .246, and consider myself a very advanced bberry user. lets go over the problems i've with each of my torches so far

Phone 1: left store, noticed the 'tin' affect in the speaker, returned it immediately, turned out the OS update fixed it

Phone 2: auto focus on camera was not working, returned to store

Phone 3: signal issues, replaced SIM, not the case, was on edge and GSM most of the time

Phone 4: REFURB, now i have the touch screen issue. my thinking is, they got it back, and just repackaged it, no one at the center would have played with it for enough hours to uncover the issue. probably wiped it, reloaded, and it looked good, which is what i did.

Phone 5????

Lets hope the next one gets it right, or i'm going to demand a brand new one, not this refurb **bleep**!

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

Mine does the tin speaker as well.  What OS update?  Are you on ATT?  Please...details!!

Guru III
My Device:

ranalli wrote:

hemibat,

that's the same exact behavior that mine is having.  Although rebooting does not always fix this and at some point it will go back to the normal correct behavior on its own but then of course it will revert back to the wrong behavior as well whenever it wants to.  I can't figure out what triggers this.

The GUI generally acts as if a left arrow of some sort is being executed.

I also have: OS on phone 6.0 Bundle 278.

OS 6.0.0.246 was released for many carriers.

please update to the newest version and see if the issue exists.