Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Touchscreen Issues

I have noticed a problem with the touchscreen and wondered if anyone else has the issue.  It seems that after a few hours of running, the screen does not register touches in the correct location. 

For example, in portrait mode, any area I touch also ends up registering on the far left side (for example, press "P" on the virtual keyboard and the "Q" registers as well.  Same with applications - touch the app on the right, and the one on the left highlights as well.

A battery pull solves the issue...temporarily.  But then a few hours later the issue comes back.

I have a BB Torch 9800,on AT&T, running 6.0.0.141 (6.0 Bundle 278).  315 MB free space.  A few apps installed (App world, Google Maps).

Any help is apprciated!

Thanks!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Touchscreen Issues

Possible your OS needs to be updated to a newer one.

there is a leak of 6.0.0.225 on the web and it fixes the issue your are describing.

I am currently running it with no issues.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Carrier: ATT

have had the same problem since I got the phone 2 weeks ago.  have also installed all the leaked os's. currently at 246.  and still have the problem.

very disappointed with this BB at this time.  would not recommend it.

New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did in fact upgrade to .246 yesterday, and I thought the problem was solved, as it was solid all day.  However, today, it is back again, even after 4 or 5 resets.

It seems that if I touch the metal back of the screen (it has to be open), the touch on the front of the screen does what it is supposed to do.  As soon as I touch the screen by itself, the problem occurs again.  I wonder if it has to do with a static electricity issue, or different potential/grounding levels.

I am using the AT&T screen protector as well as the Otterbox case, so I may remove those to see if that helps if it continues.

Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch

I had the same issue with my first Torch.  I took it back to the ATT store and they said that it was a screen calibration issue and that there was no way to fix it so they replaced the phone.

I did notice that if I did a battery pull the issue would go away for a bit and then it would come back.  If it truly was a calibration issue shouldn't it do it all of the time?  The ATT guy couldn't answer that question.

New Contributor

Interesting.  So, does the new one have the issue?

Mine is issued through my company, so I have to go through that route to return it...and I'd like to avoid that if the new phone still has issues.

Thanks for the info!

New Contributor

same question ...  did the new one have the same problems?  I have a new one coming now, and should be here in a few days.  So I have given up on the first one I got.  Real disappointment.  And I can't believe it is a calibration problem.  I'm not missing the letters I push.  It will select one that is any where on the touch screen keyboard, other than where I touch.

Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch

[ Edited ]

With my first phone, if I pressed a key whatever was the corrisponding key at the far left of the row would also show up on the screen.  Meaning, if I pressed P, or O, or I, or any other key in that row a Q would also show up.  If I turned the phone sideways and pressed a key I would usually get a space, or the caps lock would come on.

The new one is not having any problems. 

New Contributor

Thanks for the info.  I may return this one.

As another note, I took off the Otterbox case yesterday, and noted that as long as I touch some part of the phone's frame as I touch the screen, it worked more consistently.  This morning, I took off the screen protector, and it seems to work even better.  I'll see if it deteriorates during the day again.

New Contributor

I tried the touch the frame idea as well, and it seemed to work for a while.  But as time went by, it started actiing up again.  only a reboot seems to fix it, but only for a period of time and then it;s a mess again.

I am hoping the new one that is coming will be better.  If not, then back to the Bold.