Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9500

Touchscreen responds without clicking

Recently the touchscreen has responded as if clicked in the middle of navigating or scrolling.  So, for example, touching an icon without clicking it can open an application.  Also scrolling through lists of messages will frequently open one of them

Advice in vodafone shop consisted of rebooting, and checking for/installing software upgrades.

I suspect this is a hardware issue however, in which case I need to get the storm handset replaced.

Before I do that, any suggestions from the community?  Thanks

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Touchscreen responds without clicking

Hi there!

Did you do as the vodafone shop suggested? If so, what was the result? If not, then their advice remains the recommend path. BBs are tiny computers...they have memory leaks, need updates, and they are not perfect. The need rebooting, updating, and patience....just like a PC.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: Storm 9500

I had already tried battery pulling.  Desktop manager tells me no software updates available, though wireless upgrade (options--advanced options) tells me I can upgrade from 4.7.0.78 to 4.7.0.141

Any input as to what features or fixes that has?

This issue feels like a wear-and-tear problem, though I am surprised after 6 months of careful treatment.  My vodafone deal allows for free repair but not a straight swap of the device.  I will probably have to do the former and make do with back to basics SMS for a week or two

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

I'm suprised that DTM is not offerring you an update...unless, of course, you installed to your PC the .78 package...DTM might then restrict you to that (I can't recall -- VZW releases updates so infrequently that it's simply hard to remember the exact process). You can DL your carriers latest update package via this portal:

and install it to your PC...it will then perform the update. I advise this method rather than OTA -- so that you can be certain to take a good backup first (even if you must do so manually).

As for what it fixes -- I'm not sure what the changelogs show, but the predominant reports are tremendous improvement from the .7x levels to the .14x levels of the Storm OS.

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry storm 9530
My Carrier: verizon

im about ready to smash my phone with a hammer! I think I'm having the same issue, my screen seems to get locked on a buttom and when I try to select another one it stays where it is and opens programs or selects keys that I dont want.  It also usually gets stuck on these keys, so if I'm writing it will say hhhooooww aaarreee yooouuuu. I've been having this problem for several months now and usually a reboot or power off will help. I tried updating my software last month, and apparently there are none, so that sucks.

I feel like this problem has gotten worse, I tried to get my voicemail and cant even type my password correctly because it is entering the number several times when i press the button once. My phone is a year and a half old, I updated to the v5.0.0.328 version a long time ago.

Are there upgrades that I'm missing or is there a way I can re-calibrate my touch screen? Thanks!

Hall of Famer III

aquadot21 wrote:

im about ready to smash my phone with a hammer! I think I'm having the same issue, my screen seems to get locked on a buttom and when I try to select another one it stays where it is and opens programs or selects keys that I dont want.  It also usually gets stuck on these keys, so if I'm writing it will say hhhooooww aaarreee yooouuuu. I've been having this problem for several months now and usually a reboot or power off will help. I tried updating my software last month, and apparently there are none, so that sucks.

I feel like this problem has gotten worse, I tried to get my voicemail and cant even type my password correctly because it is entering the number several times when i press the button once. My phone is a year and a half old, I updated to the v5.0.0.328 version a long time ago.

Are there upgrades that I'm missing or is there a way I can re-calibrate my touch screen? Thanks!

Hi and Welcome to the forums!

Assuming you haven't already smashed your poor defenseless BB with a hammer, the OS you are on is indeed not current. Check the last post in this thread for current versions from various carriers:

You can install (upgrade, downgrade, reload) any OS for your model BB via this procedure:

If you choose an OS package that is from other than your BBs original carrier, then simply insert, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML.

Good luck!

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry storm 9530
My Carrier: verizon

I downloaded the desktop software, connected my device, and it shows no updates are available. the last post of the link you gave me mentions software 5.0.0.841 but is not available with verizon.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

aquadot21 wrote:

I downloaded the desktop software, connected my device, and it shows no updates are available.

Nothing about what I suggested pointed you in that direction (except to conduct the important backup of your user data before proceeding with the update). Nevertheless, the desktop software will only present packages sanctioned by your carrier (to which you are NOT restricted).

aquadot21 wrote:

the last post of the link you gave me mentions software 5.0.0.841

No, it does not. .841 is for the 9500...you have a 9530...they are not interchangeable. .419 is the most recent available for the 9530 (according to that post...but keep in mind that Xandrex has been unable to update it since 15-Aug, so it is possible that there are other newer versions).

aquadot21 wrote:

but is not available with verizon.

I provided you the means to use an OS package that is not from VZW...re-read my last post, the last paragraph...