Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Not Specified

Tour 9630 GPS Issues (Sprint)

I just got my new BB Tour 9630 from Sprint. I have been having the hardest time trying to get Google maps to get a GPS lock, it gets a tower triangulation but wont connect to any GPS Sats. I have downloaded other programs to make sure that the GPS hasn't been locked by sprint (GPSed, Trackit) which both work fine and can get a GPS lock in under 20 seconds with 9-12 sats. I have contacted sprint to make sure that the GPS isn't locked and they assure me that it is NOT locked. I also have notified Google about this problem. Maybe somebody can shed some light on this for me.
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Tour 9630 GPS Issues (Sprint)

Check with your operator's customer service whether they've blocked use of GPS application or not.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

I contacted Sprint several times and each time they informed me that the GPS was not locked by either them or by RIM, and was the issue of the application being used.
New Contributor

I am using Sprint's Blackberry Tour, and I can tell you that they definitely don't have its GPS feature locked. In fact, I am not sure why you would need Google Maps. If you go on the Sprint Website via your Blackberry (the yellow tag symbol), they have the best GPS application I've ever used on a Blackberry device available to download and entirely for free. Their GPS is powered by Telenav, which I am sure you know, is the best in the business. Sorry, I can't address the Google Maps issue because I've never needed it on my Blackberry; not when the free GPS does such a fantastic job...      
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 9630 (Tour)

I just want to say that I too have this issue with Google Maps. I have a tendancy to use Google Maps more often because it's more pedestrian friendly (It has walking and mass transit direction options). I actually asked my friends about this and they too have this issue with the Tour, so for the purpose of getting things done, I'm going to go ahead and leave my reply, bumping this thread back up, see if anyone knows anything that could help. I'll also let Google know, see if they have a fix.
"If it ain't broke, shoot it with a .44 until it is. Then get it replaced."

Another Tour 9630 user with the same GPS issues in Google Maps.
New Contributor

I have the same issue with my Telus Tour: BB map works, other gps applications such as blackstar are working fine but Google Maps uses triangulation only. Looks like a problem with the way they initialize the gps.
New Contributor

I'm a new Blackberry tour user, having this same problem. But I've also noticed it with the geotagging option in the flickr app, the sprint navagation software, and the sprint maps software (they either never or rarely able to locate GPS satellites). Oddly, I downloaded GPSLogger, and it works flawlessly. GPS is enabled everywhere I can find to enable it, and I've had a very good look.
New Contributor

The GPS aps seem to behave a little better following a hard reset. While the different is noticible, but still a pain.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630

Seeing as Telus advertises Google Latitude in conjuction with Google Maps, I have agree that something is not right with the Google products and the GPS built in to the Tour.