Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue

dresslerc - this is the same story I got at the Sprint store yesterday. They refused to exchange my Tour saying ALL the existing stock had the same issue. However, I've seen others report that their exchange was fine - no trackball issue. I'm still within the 30 days so will try my luck with Sprint telesales as they are much more responsive then the guys at the Sprint store - one of whom told me I needed to "learn to be a little more patient" with the trackball (!)
Contributor

Verizon actually told me to go and get another phone instead of the Tour....Hope RIM hears that.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

dresslerc wrote:

Verizon actually told me to go and get another phone instead of the Tour....Hope RIM hears that.

Actually, "Verizon" told you nothing. One person who happens to (for the moment) be an employee of Verizon gave you their opinion. I'd put money down that, if you talk to more Verizon people, you'll get many different answers. Just as you will regarding anything.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

I just spoke to Verizon about this very issue. Horizontal scrolling sucks. They want me to dial *228 to program the phone and if the problem still exists they want me to back up the phone using desktop manager. Then do a handheld wipe. Pull the battery out. Put it back in. Go through the entire boot process and see if the horizontal tracking is working better. If so I can restore. If not they will give me a new phone.

Question: If I backup the phone as he says (and I have already) does it back up everything I've set up and done on that phone? Settings, how I have the home screen set up, downloaded apps, email, contacts, etc etc etc? I sure as hell don't want to go through the entire set up process again on this thing. 

Contributor

I actually just went to another Verizon store and they replaced it immediately (no questions asked).  The new device that I got works great and also fixes the lose battery cover I had on the first one.

Anyone that has the scrolling left/right issue should go get the device replaced as I think its a hardware issue.  My new BB Tour has exactly the same OS/Firmware as the previous one so I cant imagine its a software thing....

Highlighted
Contributor

dlbeck - If you phone goes through a BlackBerry Enterprise Server then it will need to be reactivated in order for the email to work.  I have never been able to backup a phone and restore it with the BES Email working.

If you are only using personal email, then I dont know.

New Contributor

It's a software issue.  The phone I have now worked great in the beginnning.  It has for many of us.  But after a few days you will notice that it will begin to lag and become erratic at times.  It's clearly a software a problem.  If it were a hardware problem, there would even be problems scrolling up and down for everyone.  It wouldn't just be left and right.  For things to deteriorate and only affect left and right for everyone couldn't be a hardware issue.

And if anyone is wondering why replacing the trackball with a Curve or Bold trackball "fixes" things, this is more than likely because the trackball is less sensitive than the previous one.  What I believe RIM was trying to achieve was a trackball that was more sensitive than previous trackballs.  Therefore the software response to it would need to be differently.  If you put an older model trackball in, it causes the software to "behave" differently as well.  Once the firmware update releases, it will hopefully improve the sensitivity of the original Tour trackball, and thus make it scroll as smooth as one can vertically.

New Contributor

Actually to the previous poster I did change my trackball and put in my Curves trackball and the phone works perfect now. Therefore I do not believe its a software issue.

I had nothing to lose since I bought the phone on ebay and Verizon would not exchange it. They are the same exact trackballs, I believe the imperfection is the trackballs electronic housing at the bottom that is not responsive at times.

I did this two weeks ago and the trackball is perfect and I even ordered a blue trackball which I will take a picture of to show you.

I do not recommed taking it apart but if you are frustrated as much as I was, then by all means.......just remember you have to take both front and back cases off to get to the trackball. I recommend watching the youtube video first.

I purchased the Sprint Blackberry Tour, and have had this horizontal-trackball-issue since day one! I returned it, and my SECOND TOUR lasted two weeks. Now the problem's back again, and I'm on my THIRD TOUR.

This is a major problem with the Tour. How can Blackberry release a phone before it's gone through quality control?? 

Has Blackberry developed a solution for this yet? 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is my first Blackberry. I'm having the issue with the trackball but have no confidence that going to Verizon and getting a new one will solve this problem since so many people seem to be having it. If I returned it to Verizon what BB would you recommend I get if I don't get another tour?

Message Edited by dlbeck on 08-10-2009 06:25 AM