Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue -Sprint Service Center requirement

Apparantly, the trackball is an issue with all the Tours until it is properly fixed. I called back to the Blackberry tech support at Bell. They told me that all the exchanged phones they sent out have the exact same issue. The fellow I was speaking with also has his own personal Tour, and he is having the same problem.

I had my Tour changed twice, and this last one is more tolleratable. What surprises me is that a large corperation like Blackberry would overlook such an important part of their phone as the track ball. This is technically a terrible error

Another thing that is terrible with the Tour's track ball, is that they made it not end user changeableTrack balls do go defective from normal use at times. In this case the user will have to send his phone out for service, he will loose his phone, and the track ball change will be much more expensive if the phone is out of its warranty period

I found out that there are many clients who returned the Tour and went for the new Palm, Nokia, iPhone, and some other similiar models because of this issue. At one point, I was considering this myself. I am very dissapointed with this type of thing. I depend on the PDA for my business and job

Personally, if  I knew all these issues before I bought the phone, as much as I do like the Blackberry format and way of working, I would have never bought itThere are many other good phones on the market

Jerry G

Jerry G.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

This is very BAD experience - I bought mine in Hong Kong and now there's no way to replace!!!
Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

Ironically, my first Tour had an amazing trackball. I couldn't believe how awesome it was. Unfortunately, the earpiece was bad and I couldn't hear anybody speak unless I had them on speaker or was plugged in to a headset. SO... Sprint replaced it. Now I can hear people, but I can't scroll left. Sometimes not right. Editing an email or text is somewhat impossible. Works better through icons. Gonna try again...

This is my first blackberry and I must say I am less than impressed.

OS v5.0.0.484
New Contributor
My Device: Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue -Why hasn't RIM/Blackberry responded to these blogs or offered help?

For a company as large and established as Blackberry - RIM - it is very disappointing that the have not offered advice or help to all of us suffering from this problem.   Smiley Sad
New Contributor

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue

Received my replacement Tour from Sprint. New box no green dot.

Branding Version: 1.0.104.161

Now lets see if the trackball gradually gets worse.

Larry

New Contributor
My Device: Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue - Sprint run - a - round; Forced to

The last two days have spent well over 3 hours on the phone being transfered from one person to another. Going to a Sprint service center to have the phone checked out and track ball problem confirmed. Then being instructed to go to 2 different Sprint stores to exchange the phone.   Both stores refused even though they were Sprint Corporate stores. The final answer from the Sprint Supervisors? Make a claim on my insurance because there were too many Sprint eTickets opened up on my account showing I received 4 phone replacements!!!  I received one.  I wonder who got the other 3???  Wasn't me!! (I''ve had the phone less than 30 days)  I've been a loyal Sprint user for many, many years.  Their Customer Service, Tech Support is totally disorganized and no one seems to know what they are doing.   Very sad.  If  I had not renewed our contract when I bought the Tour I would leave Sprint in a second.   After reading all the positive comments about Verizon I will be leaving Sprint ASAP!!   Smiley Sad    Also very disappointed in Blackberry not standing behind their phone.  Probably will go to a different phone also.     Bye Bye Sprint!!

Contributor
My Device: HTC EVO 4G

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue - Sprint run - a - round; Forced to

I think RIM stands by their products and has done something to correct the issue. The problem I think it comes from the carriers that are inconcistent and sometimes incompetent since they are not fully aware of the issues...
Contributor
My Device: 9650 (Bold) / VZW v5.0.0.699

OK - Just got my 4th Verizon 9630 today.  Has a new branding version : 1.0.105.222 with OS of v4.7.1.40

The box it came in was quite different than the last replacement (see photo's below) and of course the TRACKBALL is working great here on DAY 1!!

4th 9630 Tour.jpg

and the 3rd phone box looked like:

3rd Replacement 9630 Tour.jpg

I will post back in a couple days if the TRACKBALL starts failing again with horizontal scroll or not.

Maurice
Maurice
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I had my Tour changed twice and still have the same track ball problemI can see RIM loosing a lot of money on this phone. They will be servicing or scrapping many thousands of phones

If you fully back up your Tour or any model using the Blackberry desktop manager Version 4.6 or greater, you should be able to restore everything back to a new Tour, or the same model that you previously backed up from. This applies to any Blackberry phone.

The only thing I found that does not fully restore back is the Bluetooth setup. You will have to reprogram the Bluetooth setup and functions yourself. This is very quick to do.

I am hearing the facts about the track ball issue being software. I also hear it being hardware. When the solution is officially out from Blackberry, this is when we will know what it is

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
New Contributor

This morning, not 24 hours after receiving the new device and the trackball is not moving as smoothly as it was yesterday. Firmware is 4.7. Very disappointing.