Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue

so in this blackberry forum no one comes out to address this?!??! what's this company about?

i talked to RIM Hong Kong and NO ONE can offer any help!

Contributor
My Device: 9650 (Bold) / VZW v5.0.0.699

OK - Day Two with my 4th 9630 and all is still working really well.  Took my branding version : 1.0.105.222 and went ahead and upgraded the OS again so back on v5.0.0.191 for the time being.  Trackball still functioning like new but this is PAR for the course for me but keeping my fingers crossed on this one...
Maurice
New Contributor
My Device: Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue - v5 OS update?

How did you get the OS update?   When I use the BB Desktop mgr. and click check for updates, response is that there are no updates available.

Visitor

Purchased my verizon Tour on Aug 12th and had it replaced on Sept 5th for trackball not moving (stuck left). Store acknowledged there was a trackball issue and replaced it no questions asked.

New Tour Branding Version is 1.0.105.122 

As of today (9/11) the unit is working flawlessly. In fact it seems to be overall faster and smoother with everything I use, but that is purely subjective opinion.

New Contributor

I am having the same issue with my trackball.  Look forward to hearing about a solution.  Moving to the right is the most troublesome direction.

Thanks.

Contributor
My Device: HTC EVO 4G

becrookham wrote:

I am having the same issue with my trackball.  Look forward to hearing about a solution.  Moving to the right is the most troublesome direction.

Thanks.

The solution is to get it replaced...

New Contributor

Yes  My partner and i --right out of the box had the same issue with the trac ball.  And the right direction.  I'm not sure if its gotten "better" or I've gotten use to it.
New Contributor

Actually It's fine -- just checked.

I was coming from an ipod touch (sad to see it go) It may have seemed to stick. It is new, under 30 days, maybe i got a good one--can only hope,  

Contributor
My Device: HTC EVO 4G

Karenlee wrote:

Actually It's fine -- just checked.

I was coming from an ipod touch (sad to see it go) It may have seemed to stick. It is new, under 30 days, maybe i got a good one--can only hope,  

Karen, on the box it should say somewhere when it was manufactured. If it says Aug 25 or after, you got a good one... also trust me, if you had a defective trackball, you would know, it is so frustrating to navigate with a bad trackball! Smiley Happy

New Contributor

To everyone who has had trackball issues: I went through 3 Tours and finally on the 4th one I got one that had a properly working trackball. I got my Tour through Verizon and each tme I complained the store replaced it for me. Finally Verizon decided to send me one from a central location. It turned out to be a "refurbished" model, but I didn't care.......the track ball actually worked on this one. I was able to compare the trackball on both models before I sent the "defective" one back. There was a difference. The "defective" track ball did not roll as smoothly as on the good phone. The difference is slight and I would not have noticed it unless I had something to compare it to

I did speak to RIM about the trackball and they had me go through all sorts of solutions including to  2 clean wipes of the phone. Obviously nothing worked. But I was surprised that RIM did not acknowledge that there was a trackball issue. I'm assuming someone from RIM is looking at these posts on this site.

On another note, I've noticed a lot of complaints about poor battery life. I also experienced similar problems but noticed that the battery life seemed to improve after a couple of weeks. I went ahead and ordered a spare battery and charger from Amazon for $52.00. They now have an extended battery with a separate back for $60.00. If this was available a month ago, I probably would have opted for this option, over a second battery.

I use "The Boom" wired headset. There is nothing that blocks out the external noise as well. Wired headsets don't seem to work well with the Verizon Navigator. Sometimes the voice comes through the headset, but more often it comes through the speaker on the phone. I have spoken to Verizon and its suppose to come through the headset. Perhaps they can address this issue on the next software update. In the meantime it's a livable problem.

I have owned BlackBerry's for the past 10 years and have looked at alternatives before I purchased another one. I looked at the PRE and the HTC Touch Pro 2. I tried out both and decided that I just didn't want to deal with another learning curve. So I decided to stick with the BlackBerry and was determined to make it work. But learning curve or not, if the 4th Tour turned out to be another dud, I was ready to bolt to Sprint and the PRE. (Sprint also would have been $60.00 cheaper each month for a similar all inclusive plan ) But the 4th Tour worked as it should and I am now a happy camper.