Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue (Verizon phones?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

where do you read the branding version? is the little green dot sticker outside the verizon box? do you have any other problem with the refurb phone? The track ball on my first phone was working fine for about 2 months. How long did you have yours replaced? 

My last (second) replacement came from the local Verizon store (I think from their "new phone" stock).  The green dot/sticker was on the outside of the box.  My first replacement came from Verizon and was packaged in a very sparse brown cardboard box with no accessories.  I don't recall seeing any green dot on this first replacement, and, as I've said in another post, this first replacement didn't last very long before it too stopped responding to horizontal trackball movements.

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue

Only took 17 days for my trackball to stop working.  Goes left/right/down, but not up.  My box does have the green dot.  Will return it tomorrow.

Should I be looking for newest inventory, or is problem not yet resolved?  If it is, how can I determine if the replacement has the fix or not?

New Contributor

I would also like to add to this thread because this is the second BB 9630 which I received back and within 3 weeks the trackball stopped performing horizontally.

If i didn't have insurance on the device, i'd be concerned about warranty running out. This problem really should be addressed, bit of a pain having to switch devices every month.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a 70 user BlackBerry deployment, mostly Verizon 8830's. We have changed out about half a dozen of those devices and "upgraded" to the Tour.  Four of the six had to go back because of the defective track ball. On two of those occasions I had to eventually send the replacement back as well (both of them were green dotted - but still went bad). In almost every case it has been the horizontal movement that was compromised.

There are many things I like about the Tour, but I am truly shocked at how poorly the trackball was designed. I too am in the camp that believes it is a pure hardware issue, not software. The failure rate I am experiencing is totally unacceptable and will slow down my future upgrade path to these devices. The 8830 's aren't perfect, but the trackball is far superior without question.

With so many people having similar complaints I can't believe that RIM didn't know that there was an issue before shipping to the providers. What is going on with RIM's QA?... Very disappointing..

[ Edited ]

I have a problem where my trackball stopped scrolling right and left.  I got the phone in July.  If I call Verizon, will they just replace my phone and send me a brand new one?  Or are they going to send me a refurb?  Or are they going to try to fix it and send it back? I also have had a problem since day 1 where my tour sounds muffled when I call other people, so I really want to get rid of this phone alltogether, get a new one, and sell it for something else. I paid $500 for this phone and these problems are too major to deal with.

Contributor

Me 2!!! Somtimes the horizontal lags a little, just waiting for it to give out. The outgoing voice is bad too unles you cup your hand under the mic. Seems to be very common i thought BB was top of the heap what happened to the QA???

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank God I'm not the only one.

This is the first BB I've ever owned and now I am regretting it. My first phone was a Motorola in 1996 since then I've had Nokia's and more Moto's and some others thrown in.

This is the most frustrating thing I've ever experienced.

Mine wouldn't go horizontal from the beginning, then I cranked up sensitivity and it worked for a bit.

Now it barely works, and going right sometimes makes it go left.

Is there an official statement somewhere by RIM on this issue?

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

I moved up to a Tour from an old 8703e this past July.  Trackball problems started in mid August and kept on getting worse.  Trackball works good when scrolling vertically but it has become nearly impossible to scroll horizontally especially if I try to scroll to the left.

Finally a week ago today, I just got fed up with the trackball that brought my defective tour back to the Telus Mobility store (I'm in Canada) where I bought it.  I was told they would replace my Tour with a refurbished on and not a new one because I had not returned my new faulty Tour within 30-days.  Instead, the store ordered a refurbished Tour and told me that they would receive it within 5 to 10 working days at which time they would call me to come in and swap my Tour for the refurbished one.  I went to the store last night where the rep checked the delivery status - rep advised it would be in on Tuesday.  I sure hope it is delivered next Tuesday because trying to access stuff on my Tour with a defective trackball is very difficult.

I'm also in Canada with Telus. I changed my Tour the week it was introduced to our market, as I wanted to change my Curve that was giving me loads of problems (missed and dropped calls, freezing regularly, poor reception, etc...) It was probably my 4th generation BB. I was waiting for the Tour in order to change. I loved it the minute I got it, but was a bit disappointed with the lack of Wi-Fi like the Bold has, but I can live without it. Then after 2 weeks, I started to have issues with the trackball. First time this problem happened to any of my BB. Waited 1 week more with the problem and went to to store I purchased it. Was changed as it was still just under the 30 day warranty . Now the problem reappeared after 3 months. I know they will exchange it for a refurbished one, but it p... me up, as obviously this is a part flaw (judging by the amount of posts on this issue), and not only bad luck on the Friday afternoon phone. What will happen when I'm out of warranty, but still under contract with Telus for 2 more years? I'll have to pay, again, to buy another phone, full price this time. Who will be loosing? RIM, Telus or me, the consumer? Why do we have to get a refurbished phone if the problem lies in the design and/or defective batch of the trackball? Anyone ever thought of a class action suit against RIM? Why should we suffer the inconvenience when the responsibility is with the construction? Cars get recalls, don't they? Why doesn't RIM do the same? What would hurt more the stock of the company, a recall or a class action suit? I wonder...
Visitor

It's not hard to fix. Simply get yourself a carpenter knife and pry the lower plate up towards the screen. It's held on by two rubber connection on either side. You have to be a little forceful to get it off. Don't worry, you won't break it. Once it's off, then use your knife to pry one side of the trackball up and out. Note: I said side and not from the top or bottom. Once you have the ball and case out, remove the plastic case from the bottom by bending one of the side metal brackets away from the plastic. Note: The position of the four rollers. The magnet is position to the right. Once you have the plastic off and the rollers out, use an alcohol pad to rub the rollers clean. Once they are all clean, put the ball and rollers back in the housing. Note: The magnet rollers are positioned to the right all the way around. Then put the plastic bottom back on and bend the metal bracket around to hold it in place. Now when reinserting the ball, find the side of bracket that has two points on both sides. Then on the bottom of the plastic bracket, you will find a metal point. This needs to be pointed to the top of the device. Insert on side in first and then snap the other in. Verify you have full trackball functionality. Now place the plate back in using a small drop of superglue on both rubber pads and then press and hold the plate down for 5 seconds. This should fix your issues.