Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue

I have had the exact same experience.
Contributor

Well I just left Verizon with a brand new Tour. The trackball is working perfectly and their techs agreed the other one was screwed up. They said if it happens again bring it back again. I love Verizon.
Regular Contributor

Hello all.....

RIM will be releasing a firmware update to fix this issue. They have it scheduled within 30days. Confirmed by a RIM software technician and VZW tech support.

Regular Contributor

A good workaround untill the firmware update is to adjust the trackball horizontal sensitivity level to eighty not the default 70, seems to stabilize the trackball..............
Regular Contributor

Replacing the trackball on the Tour with a 8330 Trackball.........

1. Do not  do  this , it voids the warranty and  VZW will charge you full price for the phone if you ever send it to them and their warehouse discovers that you have tampered with the integrity of the phone....

2. Why become your own tech when you can have VZW replace the phone for you for free...

3.  There will be a firmware update within 30days to fix this is issue...

Contributor
My Device: HTC EVO 4G

TechBerry wrote:

3.  There will be a firmware update within 30days to fix this is issue...

This update that you talk about. If is coming from RIM, it will be available on Sprint Tours right? Can you find out what else this "update" will bring?

Regular Contributor

Yes it will be available for Sprint & Verizon. I cannot guarantee the timeframe will match exactly though. The SW update will improve all basic functionality
New Contributor

I do not see how a software update is going to fix this. If it works one way (Vertically) and not Horzontally, this is a hardware issue. Especially with other problems such as screen distortion and rippling happening when you hit the top row of buttons...
Contributor

It actually could be a software issue. One piece of code is invoked if you scroll vertically and move those physical rollers and vice versa with horizontal scrolling. Now with that said my first inclination is it is a hardware issue because the code used on vertical and horizontal scrolling has been around for a long time. My gut tells me the firm ware upgrade will just set horizontal scrolling sensitivity to 80 from 70 because this has shown some improvements. But I'm not a coder at RIM so who the heck knows.
New Contributor

Then explain how I can push gently or pressured on the trackball and it works vertically. But when I go horzontally, it only works when you apply gentle/light pressure to the ball. When you give more than that, like you could on the Vertical scrolling, it doesn't work. That doesn't explain how that is software related?