Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Tour 9630 battery drains extremely quick after updating BlackBerry software to v5.0.0

I updated my BlackBerry software to the latest version 5.0.0 last week, and ever since then I have to charge my battery 2-3 times a day - if I don't use my phone/text/etc. If I use my phone, I've had to charge it as many as 5 times a day. I do not have Bluetooth enabled (only turn it on when I need it - have not used it since software update) and I have not added any additional applications since the software update. My File Free is showing 95329645 Bytes, and pulling the battery does not solve the problem.

I delete my text messages throughout the day, and also delete my emails that come in. I've looked through the knowledgebase and have tried various methods to supposedly help battery life - nothing has helped so far.

I have all of my applications and versions listed in my Biography (wasn't reallyy sure where to put all the info) and have my privacy set to all.

If someone has any idea what may have happened or what I can do to stop the battery draining, I'd greatly appreciate it. I depend heavily on my BlackBerry and right now, it's not helping me at all.

Visitor
My Carrier: Credo

Re: Tour 9630 battery drains extremely quick after updating BlackBerry software to v5.0.0

I am experiencing very quick battery draining as well....but I just got my Tour a few days ago and the software level was at 5.0 when I received it. While I know it doesn't help with a resolution with the problem at hand, I do have bluetooth enabled....does that usually drain the battery more quickly as well?

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Re: Tour 9630 battery drains extremely quick after updating BlackBerry software to v5.0.0

Avalanche, Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

Good info. You're not the only user I've noticed saying their battery drained pretty quickly after this upgrade.

Here's what I would confirm with you, check what applications are running on your device in the background, press the Menu key then choose Switch Applications. You will see the icons of each application there.

There are commonly four or five applications that will always be running (Messages, Call Logs/Phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Homescreen, and the Browser; there are other third party applications such as BeeJive, and BlackBerry Alerts which will also run in the background which you cannot close if you want them to operate). Make certain that the browser is NOT on an active webpage (open the browser and choose Menu > Close). Close any other applications that do not need to be running (the camera or a game you were playing or Google Maps).

Make certain BlackBerry Maps is not running in the background.

Do a simple reboot: With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot.

Now, watch your battery use the next few days again and see how it goes. Make sure you close or exit ALL applications properly: If you just hit the red "end call" key to go back to the home screen the application actually stays open and running in the background. If you do this repeatedly you will have lots of apps open and consequently your memory will get used up. Lack of memory is the biggest reason your BlackBerry slows to a crawl or locks up. If you get into the habit of actually using the menu key to close the applications this will at least slow down this battery drain and memory-clogging process.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thank you for your quick response JSanders!

I am generally pretty good at closing out of my apps, the only apps running besides the standard five are BBAlerts and Documents To Go Files. I verified that I wasn't on a web page (and it wasn't).

I am rebooting right now (for the second time today - and have charged it twice already today), and will watch it closesly over the next day or two and will keep you posted. Thanks again.

New Contributor

Hi D-ron,

Yes, I have been told that leaving Bluetooth enabled all of the time will help drain the battery. I only enable mine when I'm using my headset, other than that I disable it. Hope it helps you and enjoy your Tour, I've had mine for about 6 months and love it (except for the recent battery issue...LOL).

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Tour

Unfortunately I have had a lot of issues with the new OS for the Tour.  I used the 5.0 for two days and

had to make a decision whether or not to keep it and just deal with it or downgrade to the 4.7 and be content again.

My BB is my only phone.  I have to be able to have long battery life.  I found with the new OS my

battery life was not even a full day.  I do a lot on my BB when I am using it but when I am at work, it is turned off. 

I downgraded and all is fine again.  I have called Verizon about the issues and was told they have had many complaints.  It is the worse OS ever and if issues are bothering anyone, my suggestion is to downgrade or try another 5.0   I know there are many leaked versions but am not going to try them.

Why fix something that doesn't need fixing ?  I don't like threaded texting and my email was all messed up as well.  Until they can fix the bugs and tell us all is taken care of, am staying with the 4.7

New Contributor

Okay, i have done multiple reboots over the past 24 hours and have watched my memory. Haven't seen much change - on the last reboot I had 95288966 Bytes (File Free) and immediately after the reboot now only have 94946785 Bytes (File Free).

After seeing some of the other complaints regarding the 5.0 upgrade...I'm thinking that I need to downgrade as well. I was on two phone calls this morning, one was 5 minutes and the other was about 20 minutes - drained my battery completely. It is on the charger for the 3rd time already today. Unfortunately, besides the battery I have not had any issues with 5.0 - I actually like the threaded texts better.

My concern is, is the downgrade safe and how do I get my over-the-air purchased downloads reinstalled without having to re-purchase them?

New Contributor

It's looking like I will need to downgrade my software at this time. I have gone the past week with no apps running in the background on my Tour and still having to charge 2-3+ times a day. This is with at least one daily re-boot (battery pull).  A couple times it has gone dead, and shut off on me when I was unable to get to either an outlet or my truck to charge it (not convenient to always have to carry a wall charger with me. Pretty much makes my phone worthless at this point. I run my own business and rely heavily on my cell phone, especially over the weekends, to stay in contact with my customers. Missed calls means lost work.

Is there any word that BlackBerry will be putting a fix out on the latest software upgrade (v5.0)?

New Contributor

My battery problems started BEFORE the upgrade to 5.0.  I got the 9630 last August and over time came to expect a single charge would support my usage pattern for about 12-15 hours.  Then in mid-April I noticed I was only getting about six hours with the same usage.  I called Verizon who sent me a new battery.   I installed it last week and it worked fine for the first three days.

Today, with 5.0 installed, the battery completely discharged overnight with the phone turned off! 

After a long conversation with Verizon this morning, which was completely cordial, they are sending me a replacemeng phone.  The tech said the combination of events, rapid discharge with the old and the new battery, indicate the problem is with the phone.

The tech did not mention the OS though we did talk about the necessity of checking to make sure browser sessions, and especially Facebook, are closed when you leave them.  I noted that my use of Facebook is episodic and only for photo mobile uploads. I log out after each session.

As a side note, the tech did not fully answer my question about the risk of over charging the battery when the phone is left in the cradle for a few hours.  I always assumed there is a circuit that turned off the charging cycle once the battery is at full charge.  Maybe not?

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thank you for your reply.

Looks I have not closed some of the applications.

Will take your advice

Thanks again