Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Trackpad & A/Lock Key Malfunction on Curve 8530

For some reason, the A/Lock key and trackpad on my Curve 8530 are acting weird.  It's as if I accidentally touched some series of keys that has now cause those two things to malfunction.

The A/lock key isn't working at all.  So I literally cannot type the letter A.  As for the trackpad, it works fine on the home screen, but when I go into Menu, the trackpad will not scroll to the various applications/folders unless I hold the shift key while I scroll. If I pull up an application like Facebook, the scroll key doesn't work at all.  But if I go into my email, I am able to scroll through the list of message and can scroll within individual messages themselves.

I thought that if I completely wiped my BB and went back to factory settings that might restore things, but since my A key doesn't work, I can't type the word "blackberry" in order to confirm the wipe.  For what it's worth, I did back up my BB this morning.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Trackpad & A/Lock Key Malfunction on Curve 8530

Mine has done the exact same thing.  I typed a text and a few minutes tried to answer and it had started acting this way.  I was sitting in a chair and the phone was in my lap.  It wsan't dropped or anything.  Very frustrating.  There has to be a fix.  Someone please help.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900, Torch 9800, Curve 8330 (ex -Curve 8530)
My Carrier: Bell, Bell, and Bell.

Same problem here.   So far I've tried reset, battery pull, reloading software from BDM, and reloading using loader.exe immediately after a battery pull (ARM load).  Seems to still be happening.  Going to try a few different versions of the software if I can get my fingers on a downlevel.

One thing I've noticed is that the scroll works if you hold the alt key, but you can't click unless you let go.  So you can get most functionality back but it's quite frustrating.  Possible KB malfunction?  Or is this a software glitch of some sort that can't be resolved with a reload?

New Contributor

Oh, you're all gonna love this.... in a moment of half frustration and half curiosity I tried pressing the 'a/lock' button quickly and a little aggressively and lo and behold, it worked again. So, the symptoms might be caused by a sticky key? Hammer on your keys and see what happens.
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: MetroPCS

Did you ever figure this out? I have this issue too. Sometimes it happens for a few hours and then fixes itself. It has now happened for a whole day.

My Device: curve
My Carrier: mts

why the hell has blackberry not even made a suggestion about how to handle this?

New Contributor

Honestly, it's probably a hardware failure.  I've had the issue come back and then go away several times now and every time I've fixed it by just repeatedly hammering on the buttons on the left edge of the keyboard.  I think the contact inside the keyboard fades or the membrane shifts and holds a key down.  Eventually after a few months of fixing it like that every couple of weeks I just replaced the phone with a new 9900 and called it a day.  Better keyboard quality, less likely to happen again.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Unlocked

Same thing started happening to me a week ago, I have a Blackberry 9900. This is driving me craazzyy :@

The only thing that seems to fix it temporarily is slapping it.