Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Trackpad freezes BB 8520

Hi There,

I am new here, i got a blackberry 8520, i have it for 2 months now, few days back i am facing an issue where the trackpad continously freezes and then unfreezes. It keeps on freezing in short time intervals, i can click with it but i cannot move to any direction.

Could it be a memory or software issue? Or it is definitely a hardware issue?

Appreciate any help

Thanks alot

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Trackpad freezes BB 8520

Hi,

Welcome to Blackberry support community forums. Trackball freezes as dirt gets inside it. You can purchase trackball separately  for your device.  However, you can rub a harsh cloth on the trackball to remove the dirt and make it to work.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

Hi Tanzim, Thanks for the reply actually 8520 blackberries are designed with trackpad and not trackball. (you know the optical trackpad)

My problem is that sometimes it is working fine and suddenly it stops scrolling, i an press it and select items though but cant scroll to any direction.

Im not sure why this might be happening, ive deleted most of my third party applications but still the issue is there, ive tried a battery pull and the issue was there as well Smiley Sad

Appreciate any help

New Contributor
My Device: 8500 curve

hi

ive had the same issue with my trackpad,i have tried all the usual things even disconnecting the battery and searching for updates but no resolution as yet. does anyone know of a way to resolve this particular issue?

thanks

New Contributor

Hey man, Well mine is still under warranty so i sent it to blackberry service center 4 days back. Il let you know once its done for you to know the exact problem..

Dont bother try fixing it. Im a support technical consultant and i spent nights analyzing the event logs and troubleshooting Smiley Happy

My Device: curve 8350
My Carrier: Etisalat

Anything new on this? I am having the same exact problem with my trackpad.

New Contributor

Well i took it to blackberry service center, it was fixed, it worked for 2 days then the same problem started happening again. I reinstalled the newer version of the OS but same problem.

Now its in the service center again, and i still cant know what the problem is.

And Tanzim, for the zillion times now, this is a trackpad not a trackball so no dust whatsoever can get stuck.... 

My Device: BlackBerry 8520
My Carrier: Etisalat Nigeria

Hi my 8520 has the same problem, the track pad hasnt worked in 3 days!!

is anybody at RIM reading our posts? theres got to be a solution and explanation for this....

My Device: 8520
My Carrier: TMOBILE

I have been having this same issue!! This will be my 4th replacement phone since mid-January...there HAS to be a solution for this Smiley Sad

**PS-Hard power cycles, master resets, all of that has not worked...not to mention, it was infrequent, now it's constant.**

This phone was received 03/02 and it started 03/05! ... Very frustrating, especially as an avid BB lover.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

Same problem here. 33 day old 8520. Frozen trackpad.click works. rest of phone works.

ATT will not help bc there is a small scratch on screen same goes for Radio Shack where the phone was purchased. Was hoping someone would recognize that these pads are deffective. Only option for me is to break contract and sign on with new carrier.

Now the question is get another 8520 or get the Tour or Pearl?  Seems the Tour, even though it has a track ball, is a more robust build.

Had an old curve that lasted for years and took lots of abuse. This 8520 with the trackpad was supposed to be better than the old trackball. NOT!

Maybe RIM will admit they have a hardware problem...seems unlikely though. They will probably just pressure their trackpad supplier to fix the issue going forward and make the poor saps like us who got early 8520 models eat the defective ones.