Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: MTC Touch

Re: Trackpad freezes BB 8520

Hi everyone, the following worked for me:

First, remove your SIM card from the phone then switch it on.  My trackpad worked perfectly when I took the SIM out. If yours doesnt, you can still follow the steps below but it will be a pain.

(if you do not care about loosing your messages, contacts...etc, jump directly to step # 4 from here)

Step 1 - Install the software called "desktop manager" that comes on a CD with your bb curve 8520.

Step 2 - Open the program after it is installed on your PC and make sure your phone is "connected"  via USB cable or bluetooth.

Step 3 - Choose the "backup and restore" option in the desktop manager software and you will get 3 options : backup, restore or advanced. for simplicity, choose backup and save the file on your desktop (or anywhere you can find it easily). You can also avoid using a pc by backing everything up on your micro SD card, but i preferred to formatt mine just in case it contained a virus.

Step 4 - After you have created a backup (IPD file) of everything on your phone (mine was 1.15 MB) , you must perform a master reeboot on your phone. Go to "options" >> "security options" >> "general settings" then scroll down to "services" and click on the first option, mine read : WLM 2.1 [WLMEU01]AES. Once you click on it (by pressing on the trackpad), you will see an option that says "wipe handheld" select that and your phone will be restored to factory condition.

Step 5 - Your phone will load for a few minutes then switch on and ask you to insert your SIM card. Do that and follow the initial setup instructions (date, language....etc)

Step 6 - Reconnect your phone to the PC and open the Desktop Manager software, and click on "Backup and Restore". Here, i believe you should be careful with one thing, if your backup contains a virus then restoring everything will probably bring it back. I chose "ADVANCED" instead of restore. The softwar will show you items on your phone (on the right). Select "open" from the left and select the backup file that you created eariler. This will show you everything on your backup file, and will enable you to choose what you want to restore. I personally chose "addresses" and "bb messenger" because that's all i cared about. I advise that you only restore the stuff that are absolutely critical to keep, and let go of the rest for now.

Disconnect your phone from the PC and enjoy !

My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for the information. I got to step 4 and realized I can't complete that step to return the blackbeery to factory settings because the track pad does not work to navigate to the security options.

Any suggestions?

My Carrier: Celcom

if the trackpad cant work once the SIM card is out. How do i navigate to 'Option' and the subsequent steps?

My BB hang more than 10 times yesterday.. Aarrghh

My Device: 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I just wanted to note that I'm another victim of this frozen trackpad problem.  Battery pulls sometimes help, but otherwise it seems random.  Having to pull the battery every couple of hours is insulting.  Fix this, RIM!

My Carrier: tmobile

i did what insturcted and nothing seemed to change. the trackpad is still not moving. is there another suggestion?

New Contributor
My Carrier: Maxis

Hey guys. Could it be that you are all using OS 5.0.0.509?

If so, then it's not the phone hardware that is the problem. My trackpad works perfectly and is much better than the previous trackball.

I recently updated to OS 5.0.0.509 and i ran into several issues :

1) The main issue was obviously the trackpad. When we swipe over the trackpad quickly it just stays there and appears to be stuck. But if you try place your finger on the trackpad and move slowly, you'll notice that it's indeed responsive. There was also another interesting thing i found out abt this issue, it turns out that if you use a glove, sleeve or any fabric between your finger and the trackpad, it is very responsive. It is, i can say, as responsive as my trackpad before i updated the OS.

2) Sometimes after viewing a second contact's message thread, the contact's thread that was previously viewed won't open.

3) The pictures are scaled to fit the screen in a weird way making it very unclear. The thumbnails are also very unclear.

4) Certain themes that change the background picture of the main menu doesn't work. Either all white will be seen or the image of the previous theme's wallpaper will be there.

That's as much as i can remember right now. Anyway, i'm currently downgrading my OS back to 4.6.
This I admit is not as slick as the 5.0 but it certainly is very usable and does not have all the issues mentioned above.

If there is anybody with a fix or solution for the problems in OS 5.0 please post something.
Hope this issue is resolved ASAP.

Thanks! Smiley Very Happy

My Device: 8520 curve
My Carrier: Movistar

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem i got mine as a gift for my birthday, i just opened the cell phone as shown on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HgLXRgedvI its a bit risky but it really works and if youre carefull nothing bad should happen to your phone, my trackpad was dead almos 3 days ago, i opened just like the video said and now its working perfectly, you just have to clean the surroundings of the trackpad and reconnect the trackpad being carefull that the connection its complete, you shoud hear a click when its completed. I hope this post is helpfull for you.

The source of this problem might be you dropped your bb and the conection between the trackpad and the mainboard of the bb is not very strong so its very likely to get unplugged.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Etisalat

my trackpad was working perfectly for about 5 months - then suddenly 1 day it began to get stuck/ freeze. i've upgraded the software last week but the trackpad still freezes. putting it on standby mode for about 10 minutes seems to help unfreeze it.

Any solutions to this irregular problem? Are the people at Blackberry even reading our posts?

Contributor
My Device: CURVE 8530
My Carrier: SPRINT

Every morning while I'm getting ready I'll do a reset of the phone. Alt - Right Shift - Del. It's worked a lot more consistenly since then. I don't do battery pulls since my phone is in a case and I don't want to take it out.

New Contributor
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

4/13/2010: The process that joeyyy outlined has worked for me (at least thru step 5).  I will now try to back up.

If it stops working again, I will add to this message.

My 8520 just started the trackpad issue today after getting it 2/5/2010.  AT&T support will just lead you thru a bunch of wasted steps.