Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Sprint

Trackpad issue

[ Edited ]

Sprint

OS 5.0.0.699

I got two 9650's the week they came out. One for my wife, and one for me. Also upgraded to the new OS release from Sprint. Wife reports no problems with hers, but mine is another story. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I've been "stuck" in native apps. For example, went to make a phone call, and wanted to call from a contact. Hit the phone button and trackpad stayed inside the historical call log. No matter what I did, it wouldn't scroll up into the dial screen. Hard reboot, problem fixed. Then I noticed the same thing in messenger. It would not let me navigate the cursor outside of the message box. I couldn't scroll up to read historical in the same conversation. Hard reboot, problem fixed. Today, at least three times, when I would go to messenger, it would not let me navigate out of one conversation from the main messenger screen. I could push in and open that conversation, but couldn't navigate away to another conversation. Only thing that fixes it is a hard reset of the device.  And I really don't want to have to do that multiple times per day.   No other issues, other than the usual lagging in some apps like facebook - to be expected.

And again as I review my own post.  From the home screen, I can scroll across the icons, and I can scroll up to profiles.  If I hit the menu button to go to the main screen, I can't scroll anywhere but on the icon that it's on.  I can escape and go back and again, scroll left right, and up/down.  But I can't on the main menu screen.  Can even open the apps, but I can't move out of the main menu screen.  Shortcuts enabled and I can use those, but it won't let me move around.  This is really getting frustrating.

And......as this occurred, I showed my wife.  Was getting frustrated, so I gave it a little "whack" like all of us do, hoping that would fix it.  And it did.  What the heck?

On the phone with Sprint now.

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Trackpad issue

A new device should not have such issues. As you two of them and one is working perfectly alright I would recommend you take it back to the retailer and claim for warranty.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Regular Contributor
My Carrier: Sprint

Two hours last night on the phone with Sprint.  They transferred me to tech support.  He agreed and said this is a hardware, not a software issue.  On a side note, now my device just automatically and periodically adds "w"'s to my text.......

Ordered a replacement.

I can't be the only person on the planet with this issue.

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

5eleven wrote:

Ordered a replacement.

I can't be the only person on the planet with this issue.

No worriers!! You're getting a replacement device...That won't give you any trouble...I hope so!

Cheer up!

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

elw
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9650
My Carrier: verizon

5eleven, I totally sympathize. i've had my 9650 for three days and the first night I started to experience an unresponsive trackpad. The service rep at my local Verizon store said it was because I didn't set the sensitivity control high enough. Moved it up to 90 and the problem still occurred. After two frustrating trips to the Verizon store I finally got it swapped out yesterday. Then trackpad on the replacement phone started exhibiting the same balky behavior. After 40 minutes on the phone this morning with a Verizon bb expert, we wiped the phone clean and reinstalled. We thought maybe adding Skype to the phone messed up the software. The phone worked well .... for about five hours, then the trackpad acted up again (or didn't act at all, I should say). I'm so so disappointed.

Aside from the trackpad not responding, I've noticed these other problems:

When the screen goes black, it takes several stabs at the control buttons to get it to wake up.

Also, sometimes the screen changes without any prompt from me.

I don't know whether it's worth it to get another replacement phone. I love it when it's working, but so far it's been quite unreliable.

Any suggestions? I wanted a world phone for an upcoming trip. I hate to go back to my 8330 curve which won't work there.

elw
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9650
My Carrier: verizon

Wanted to update my situation. I went through three Verizon BB 9650s, all with the same issue: the trackpad would stop responding within hours of first use. Never could figure out why. Suspected Skype messing up the OS, but that wasn't the problem. Have had my fourth 9650 for a month and it has worked beautifully...until now. The trackpad has frozen a couple times in the last week, most recently last night. I turned off the phone, waited a few minutes, turned it back on, and it was still stuck. Tried again a few minutes later and it was still acting weird but was moving. No problems so far today, but considering my previous experience, it worries me. All in all, I still like the phone--big upgrade over my 8330, wonderful camera, crisp graphics, same great email integration--but if the trackpad stops on me, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Anyone have suggestions on what to try if the trackpad goes slack again? Will OS6 address this problem? My other beefs: keypad too tight, so I make lots of typos (and I do not have fat fingers); the auto cap is very annoying, capitalizing when I don't want to, especially during texting; teeny tiny text on web pages (8330 was slower but bigger display).

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

Having the SAME EXACT issues- what did you do?! I honestly love the phone too much to give it up!

Highlighted
My Carrier: Verizon

Same trackpad issue - this is my 3rd Bold and it's happening again.  Does this happen to everyone?  Is there a solution other than calling and arguing with Verizon to obtain a free replacement?